Is flow doing this to my coral? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pearl bubble coral which is deflated most of the time. I inflate for only a few minutes during the day time. At night, when i turn off the pumps, it inflate again. I noticed sometimes when i turn off pumps to do mods to the tank, it inflates bigger. Is it a flow issue that is stressing my coral? It's already pretty low on the rockwork where flow is moderate. Should i move it onto the substrate so the flow would be less?

If it's not a flow issue, do u guys think there could be another issue? My other corals are thriving except my yellow leather which was killed by my emerald crab! :x

Thanks alot guys

All the bubble corals prefer a lower flow, it's quite possible that the flow for yours is too much for it. Move it to an area of lower flow and see how it does.

You should not turn off the pumps at night either. When in the dark algaes produce CO2 instead of O2. You are risking pH problems and possible acidosis with the fish. RR might be right on the moving but I don't think 320 GPH in a 30 gal tank is all that high unless the coral is close to the outport of the powerhead. I would instead look at this as a possible light issue. Although 2x65w PC on a 30 is not a large amount of light, if the bubble is higher up in the tank, they will respond poorly. I would agree on the moving but also place it lower in the tank while your looking for a low flow spot. Preferabley near/on the substrate.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom