Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
ok, well, maybe for the next fish. We will see how things go with convinceing my parents.

I have a 15gallon laying around. We'll see.

I would have thought it would be more stressful on a fish to be acclimated inot a QT tank, then acclimated into the main tank.

Thanks for the help.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

One advantage to acclimating into a QT is that you can adjust the QT salinity to more closely match the fish store's. Then you can minimize your acclimation time because the water parameters are very similar. THEN... over the course of the 4 week quarantine you can slowly increase (or decrease if that's the case) the salinity of the QT to match your main tank.

But then, hey... I remember being 16 and I hardly had enough $$ to buy the latest album from my favorite band, let alone aquarium supplies and salt mix!

Regarding the acclimation time, as Hara mentioned, it really does depend on a lot of factors. The amount of time in the bag between fish store and home also comes into play too. With longer transport times, I'd be more apt to make that drip happen a little quicker. With shorter transport times, I probably wouldn't be as worried about getting "fresher" water to him.

Either way, sounds like it's settling in just fine! Have fun!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
Quote:
Wait until it starts doing it's little "twitch" thing...
Yep... My clowns were doing that. What the heck is it all about?

I dont have a QT myself. Lack of space and well I spent a crap load on the main tank so for the moment I'm with out. I'm keeping my eye open for a 10gal tank that i can use down the road for a QT tank.

I have 4 fish in the tank. 2 clowns (tank breed) then later I purchased 1 Royal Grammas and 1 Blue neon goby (tank breed). I made sure to ask how long they have had the fish (all of them were in the same tank at petco), and was informed the clowns were there just over 2 weeks and the other 2 just over 3 weeks at the time I had picked up the clowns. I watched them for a bit see how they were reacting, eating, breating, etc. All looked good. And all are doing great in my tank thus far. QT is something I will be getting just need some time to save up a little extra.

Acclimation:
I was told from my LFS that the hermits ( blue legged and scarlet) along w/ my Black turbo snails didnt need to be acclimated because they were pretty hardy to start out with. I let the bag sit in the tank for about 15mins so what little water was in the bag was at least the same temp at the tank. The proceeded to stick the snails on glass and drop in the hermits. All have cleaning like crazzy. and no losses. Did I just get really lucky and I should be acclimateing them or is that more for the less hardy hermits and snails?

Quote:
I remember being 16 and I hardly had enough $$ to buy the latest album from my favorite band
Heheh.. I recall bout 10years ago I had a customer at best buy seriously looking for a 8 track player hehe.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter208
Acclimation:
I was told from my LFS that the hermits ( blue legged and scarlet) along w/ my Black turbo snails didnt need to be acclimated because they were pretty hardy to start out with. I let the bag sit in the tank for about 15mins so what little water was in the bag was at least the same temp at the tank. The proceeded to stick the snails on glass and drop in the hermits. All have cleaning like crazzy. and no losses. Did I just get really lucky and I should be acclimateing them or is that more for the less hardy hermits and snails?
Hermits and snails are hardy once acclimated to your tank but you got lucky or your ph/sg matched your lfs very closely.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
i just baught some scarlet leg and blue leg hermits last night, and i acclimated them for about an hour and a half. I also got a feather duster which i acclimated for 2 hours. All seem to be doing great!

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
KK.. thnks for the heads up.
Next batch will be done correctly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com