Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've had some luck dosing with crushed garlic on the nori and including the use of a uv sterilizer. My powder brown tang got ich and was able to kick it, the uv helped stopped the cycle. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyreef View Post
I've had some luck dosing with crushed garlic on the nori and including the use of a uv sterilizer. My powder brown tang got ich and was able to kick it the uv helped stopped the cycle. Good luck!
My tanks have never had marine ich but I read up on it before starting my any sw tanks and it seems like garlic and uv sterilizer is suppose to work. Some say that cleaner shrimp help as pick the parasites off the fish.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions on how to cure ich, but I'm pretty well convinced that none of the cures are effective.

I'll do a little checking on garlic and uv treatments, but honestly, I'm pretty pessimistic about the chances that those things are going to do much good. If they did, we wouldn't be talking about whether or not anyone else ever uses them ,or how some people have had some degree of success with certain things.

I would guess that half of the posts about sick fish on this site are related to ich one way or another, and the problem never goes away. If there were a real cure for ich, EVERYONE would know exactly what it was.

Certainly, cleaner shrimp won't do the trick. What they eat is not really related to the symptoms or causes of the disease, and even if it were, the problems caused by ich are way bigger than merely removing the cysts from the outside of the fish.

Unless you can treat with copper -- and I can't, because I have a reef tank, with corals and inverts -- Marine Ich just isn't susceptible to any of the cures that are out there. Not reliably; not by an mechanism that can be understood, or tested, or predicted, or repeated.

It's like the flu in humans: Sometimes, you can treat some of the symptoms; but in reality, once you have it, you just have it. It runs its course and you take your chances on the outcome.

I don't mean to be a jerk, because I do appreciate the suggestions. In the end though, I'm not looking for ideas on how to cure it. Practically speaking, ich is incurable, unless you can treat with copper. I just want to know what the prognosis is for fish with ich, and how long I have to wait before I can conclude that I'm out of the woods and the fish has recovered.

OK, thanks. Take care!

Tags
death, eat, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com