Is my anemone dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fooDONTtrip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased this anemone at my LFS a day ago and it seems to be shriveling up. I only have some live rock and a clown fish in my tank. It is a jbj 12 gallon tank with a 50 watt heater. My LFS said that I was able to add to the tank after a week because he sold me some water out of a tank he had and some that he had made. Please help!

It's probably just adjusting. Also, no offense, but you got ripped off by your lfs. Tank water is not good for anything, and doesn't mean you can sustain an anemone after a week. Your tanks needs to be fully established as far as biological filtration is involved.

Welcome to the forums, wish it were under better circumstances.

Your lfs basically lied to you. You can't just add things to an uncycled tank, especially a nem. What lighting do you have, is it compact flourescnet or a metal halide? cause the stock light isnt enough for a nem either.

My recommendation is to return the nem and cycle your tank. THEN you can add a few fish slowly. Nems need pristine, established tanks and extreme lighting.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :-(

What kind of lighting does that system have. Also anenomes need a mature tank of at least a yr old. Anything newer will have parameter swings that anenomes can not handle.

Thanks. It kind of seemed that way but I am just getting started and I pretty much believed everything he said. Also, when I purchased the anemone it was not attached to a rock and it still isn't. He said to acclimate it and let it do it's thing. Any tips on what to do?

My tank is stock except for the heater. Here are the specs
The Ultimate Reef Ready Biotope!The newly redesigned Nano Cube is now offered in a Deluxe version to meet the needs of the serious reef enthusiast. The New Nano Cube Deluxe offers double the light output of the original model, giving your corals and invertebrates 48 total watts of intense JBJ compact fluorescent illumination. All models come standard with (2) built-in cooling fans to dissipate excess heat, a new highly efficient (Fulham, UL Approved) remote electronic ballast with disconnect cable, and return nozzle for directional flow output.Advanced Features:12 Gallon Glass CubeOffers Panoramic viewing with smooth rounded corners. The Nano Cube Deluxe offers the ideal dimensions for a mini-reef tank that requires depth for proper rock stacking.Built-in 3-Stage FiltrationNewly redesigned filtration system allows for better surface skimming and more room in the rear for larger pumps for DIY customers. The filtration compartment is hidden in the rear and provides maximum space for tank inhabitants. All models now include an output return nozzle for directional flow control.JBJ Compact Fluorescent Bulb LightingIncludes (2) 24 watt CF lamps with a durable (Fulham, UL Approved) remote electronic ballast w/ disconnect cable. Offered with our powerful 50/50 lamps for marine tanks and 6500K daylight for plant tanks. Both lamps include UL Approved German "Snap-In" lamp sockets for easy bulb install and removals. Installed with splash guard lens for lamp protection.CE ApprovedManufactured with the highest quality components for trouble free performance. Dimensions: 15.8" (L) x 13.8" (W) x 14.8" (H) Capacity: 12 gallons Power Supply: AC110V-60Hz Pump (included): 106 GPH Lift: 0.8m Lighting: (2) 24 Watt 50/50 CF Lamp + Remote Ballast, (2) Nite Vu LED Moonlights Includes M.S.S. (Modular Surface Skimmer)

Ok, return the anemone. Got it! What should I do next so that my tank will be ready to add more fish and coral?

The first thing you need to do is set it up( live rock, sand, etc) and then do a fish less cycle. I'm sure someone will post a link to the thread lol. It's basically adding a source of ammonia, to get the appropriate bacteria to begin to live there and convert it to nitrite, and then to nitrate.

I have the live rock and live sand in the tank already! I have had it for about a week! It has about 5 pounds of live rock and 12 pounds of live sand! I also have a clown fish in the tank already.

You'll need either more live rock or you can buy somebase rock to save some money. You should have at least 15lbs of rock in there. In saltwater the rock is your filter really, the other parts of the filtration system just remove particulate matter that floats around.

Your beneficial bacteria will reside in the sand and rock and convert the ammonia (fish poop and other organics) inbto nitrites, then the other nitrite eating bacteria will eat that and in turn produce nitrates.

Your next thing after getting rid of the nem is to get an API saltwater testing kit, it will help you cycle your tank.

As far as the fish already still in it, it might or might not survive the cycle. In the olden days people would use fish to cycle their tanks and if it died it was oh well. These days most if not all people promote fishless cycling.

if you keep the fish you will have to monitor the tank daily and do many water changes to keep the ammonia levels at 0 or close to it.

here is a link you should look at

Cycle your salt tank

Thank you! I appreciate everyones advice and I hope everything will be better! I will get more live rock and is there anything else I can get to test the water?

Thanks again for all the advice! I love they way saltwater tanks look and I want to do it right!

Cycle that tank properly and you will be off to a great start. It sucks that a fish store would guide you so badly...I would recommend lookign around for another store when the time comes. I drive an hour or more sometimes to go to a reputable place. And if in doubt just post a thread here, there are soo many people who have years, even decades of experince with saltwater.

Good luck and when you get your test kit let us know the results. Also since you have a clown already be sure to have extra water on hand for water changes.

Are you using ro/di water or tap water?

I am not sure about the water! I purchased it already made! He gave me half he made and half from a tank he had fish in.

EEk. LOL. You might wanna look into getting your water from those supermarket machines and mixing your own salt water. I was paying 30 cents a gallon for that water and since your tank is so small you'll only need like 5g a week. If you are serious about the tank though and have the money you might just wanna make your own water right at home. I use this machine

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I also have like 5 sw tanks now so it beats lugging jugs of water back and forth. Are you planning on getting corals at some point cause ro/di water is for sure the way to go.

Like mentioned by someone earlier, the bacteria doesnt really reside in the water it lives on the rock and sand. All you got fromhis used water was the end product of nitrates. And by the way, nitrates are removed by doing a weekly water change, for your tank, maybe like 3-4 gallons. Also keep in mind that when the water level drops from evaporation you need to add unsalted water as the salt doesnt evaporate. :)

I'm just throwing stuff out there so if you have any specific questions just ask. :)

Soni want to my LFS and I cannot return the anemone. What should I do with it! I would like to try and keep it and help it be healthy!

Throw the anemone at the owners face, throw some merchandise on the floor, and tell him to go f#^@ himself!!!!! I hate that, he gave you wrong information to make a quick sale. Never go there again, and look for another lfs that can give you credit or take it for free.

I'm not sure what to tell you. When I returned my nem I just gave it back with no refund. :-(

not sure he will survive the cycling process and if he does die in there it will pretty much nuke the tank unless you catch it quick enough.

Youre in a tough spot....

Back
Top Bottom