Is my anemone dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladykrup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just brought home three condy anemones (the ones with the little pink tips) attached to a rock. Did everything as instructed, all levels are fine. Anemone 1 is shriveled up and pulled into the foot part with only a few time tentacles out the top. The orange base part seems to be getting bigger! Anemone 2 is starting to pull in the tentacles (you can see them in the foot part!). Now they are pretty much all in there. Anemone 3 is flowing and waving around, seems fine.

Is this normal or are they dying?

How are your water parameters? Did you acklimate them properly? what is your water temp?

If your water is fine and you acklimated them properly it's probally their normal shrivel up thing they do. I have 3 and they do it all the time.

I just went downstairs and all three of them are waving around! They are alive! I'm so happy! These are very strange creatures. One more question, please. What do they eat. Can't believe I didn't ask the fish guy at the store. Will they get some of the frozen food the other fish eat?

Thanks for your help!

I've got a similar question. Earlier today I was worried my anemone was dying as well. I've had it for about a month with no problems. But today he took on a color and look I hadn't seen before... It just didn't look healthy, but looks better now. How do you tell if an anemone is dying? From what I understand, if one dies it can wipe out the entire tank. Are there any signs to look for to know when to pull them?

To quote Reefrunner
When an anemone dies...you'll know it, it disintegrates

To be more specific, it will fall apart. They have an electoskelaton ( I can't spell) :roll: ,and yes if you don't catch it, it can kill off your tank. The only thing you can do is change the water out once it's done. Mine changes color a little but not much, what kind of color change did yours do?

He's typically an off-white... But he turned a good bit darker... Kinda a brownish pink. The foot is still white though. So there's pretty much no way of telling until they are "falling apart"?

Where is the anemone's mouth? Do you stick your hand down there and put the food on them? Do they catch some that is for the fish?

Yes, you can tell when it's dead/dying. and the moouth is in the center of the tennacles, it catches food with the tennacles. Yes, I just stick my hand in the tank and place a peice of shrimp on their tennacles anf they take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom