Is my anemone dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toffeepooh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is wrong with my anemone? All the water and temp everything is fine. Please help me.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412200665.136671.jpg

It is splitting some brown sticky stuff out. I got this about 3 days ago.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412200647.863554.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Using rodi water with conditioners. Tank is mature and all fish and corals are healthy. 50 gallon tank with LED lights

Temp 80 water with 2 power heads

What are your params and age of the tank and lighting? Actual numbers please, can't help with "everything's fine" or "mature", also an actual model on the light.

All 0 on nitrate nitrite ammonia. Tank is 3 months old with live rocks and fish, then cycled it for 2 months prior.

Calcium is about 460 ish

It's normal (not sure) my anemone does that all the time and opens up perfectly next day

Tanks pretty young for a nem, and do you not have tests for alk, mag and phosphate? IMHO it looks pretty rough, you'll want to keep an eye on it as I doubt your tank is mature enough to handle if it dies.

No I don't have those tests. Thanks for the advice

What do I need In order to host anemone?

How is the anemone doing? Is it still looking so rough and not inflating?
You never got back to us with the lighting that is over the tank, though not the reason for what is currently going on with it, I suspect it might not be the intense lighting that anemone need to survive and be a small part of the problem.
How long was the anemone in the tank before the original picture was taken?

Sorry for the updates, currently it is looking rather healthy. It does go thru occasional flat unflat modes. My lighting is LED current USA orbit brand.

What it worries me is the mouth. It appears to be open with some gap.

Yes the lighting is that one. I just placed it in the purchase bag and let it soak in tank for 15 mins.

The crown fish died few days ago for no reason. My parameter is all 0s, I am using rodi water in a 55 gallons tank.

My tank has one yellow tang, 2 green spot puffers, couple of crabs, one cleaner fish, 2 demsel, 1 snowflake eel, few corals and 2 engineer coby.

One cleaner shrimp not fish

I'll be honest, with a tang and 2 puffers, that alone is enough to have elevated nitrates in a 55. If you are reading 0, i'd suspect either a bad/not done correctly test or you have some cyano or algae growth going on that is giving you a false reading. That is why your anemone is stressed.
As for the light, not familiar with the unit and read about it. Some say it is fine, others say not...supposed to be great for soft and LPS coral, but no one can agree on SPS and other things that require high intensity lighting. I think it might be fine if we can get the parameters stabilized.
I'd suggest returning the tang and one, if not both, puffers.

Last edited:
I do have some green and brown algae around but in very little amount. I may place the puffers back to the 10g tank where those came from originally. They are about an inch long.

Back
Top Bottom