Is my anemone okay? Super worried *newbie*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miadoll_xo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so mg boyfriend and i made the beginners mistake about buying an anemone without really researching it up until we got home... Now that I've read up on it I'm worried its gonna die on me... Does it look okay? The LFS store said it was a green carpet.
All my tests are perfect, it's a 75g tank , protien skimmer, filter and 70lbs of live rock.
SG is .24

Attachments

• image-393461527.jpg
    image-393461527.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 132
The most important question is what lighting do you have? Nems can take a while to get used to a new environment so don't stress just yet. Be wary of the carpet tho, they have been known to eat small fish. Check out the info on liveaquaria.com for care instructions. Good luck!

We have the aquaticlife 48" t5 ho with two actinic blue bulbs and then the same light fixture with two white bulbs... Will he be okay? It looks a lot better now.. His mouth is smaller and he's not as shrivelled ... Good sign?

Attachments

• image-949791537.jpg
    image-949791537.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 102
The most important question is what lighting do you have? Nems can take a while to get used to a new environment so don't stress just yet. Be wary of the carpet tho, they have been known to eat small fish. Check out the info on liveaquaria.com for care instructions. Good luck!

+1
I knew a guy whose carpet ate an orange shoulder tang juvenile. I would say carpets are not a beginner nem. I'd try and get another 2 bulbs at least so you have 6.

Perfect! I'm on my way now to the lfs... I don't want this little guy to die because of our stupidity! So far he's just buried himself in a corner of our aquarium and our other fish are curious of what it is but don't come too close to it. My clownfish however pay it no mind.

On a 75g t5ho is not going to be enough light - and do you have plenty of flow? Keep checking your water regularly and try and keep it stable. I agree with the above, a carpet is an expert creature. Did you get it so it would host your clowns? What type of clowns are they? An easier choose would have been a bubble tip...

On a 75g t5ho is not going to be enough light - and do you have plenty of flow? Keep checking your water regularly and try and keep it stable. I agree with the above, a carpet is an expert creature. Did you get it so it would host your clowns? What type of clowns are they? An easier choose would have been a bubble tip...

A 6-8 bulb t5 would be enough light for it.

Right now we have two blue bulbs two purple bulbs and two white ones ... And two 850gph for circulation.
We currently have 4 clown fishes
1 maroon clownfish ( never shown aggression towards the others)
2 ocellaris clown fish
And my newest little baby
1 white wynoming clown

They all get along perfectly and spend their time all together.

I feed the carpet today and he took the Mysis shrimp really well.
I've even notices he's getting his green colour back!

Right now we have two blue bulbs two purple bulbs and two white ones ... And two 850gph for circulation.
We currently have 4 clown fishes
1 maroon clownfish ( never shown aggression towards the others)
2 ocellaris clown fish
And my newest little baby
1 white wynoming clown

They all get along perfectly and spend their time all together.

I feed the carpet today and he took the Mysis shrimp really well.
I've even notices he's getting his green colour back!

If he's getting his color back that's a good sign it is recovering. I'm not trying to be a downer here but you will run into problems with that many clowns in there. It may be ok for a while but ill bet my money someone is gonna get torn up eventually.

Wyoming clowns are amazing. I like them more than Platinums because they are more peaceful. I agree with the above post that having three occelaris clowns (Wyoming included) and one maroon is not a good mix. If I were you I would keep one occelaris and the Wyoming, and take back the rest to LFS.

I had four clowns in my 6 foot tank and they got along fine for months, they even all slept together at night. lol

BUT one day the orange oscellaris pair decided to kill my b&w pair and I just barely got them out of the tank before they would have been killed. Luckily I have several tanks so I was able to move them but most people dont have a backup place to place them.
I wouldnt worry about the wyoming, I would worry about the maroon for sure.

I had four clowns in my 6 foot tank and they got along fine for months, they even all slept together at night. lol BUT one day the orange oscellaris pair decided to kill my b&w pair and I just barely got them out of the tank before they would have been killed. Luckily I have several tanks so I was able to move them but most people dont have a backup place to place them. I wouldnt worry about the wyoming, I would worry about the maroon for sure.

+1 on the maroons. Mine are highly territorial and would not tolerate another clown in my 300.

Thanks everyone! I ended up moving the anemone and a pair of clown to an extra tank I had.. The anemone looks great! It was in really rough condition when we bought it from the LPS. It's all puffy now. I've noticed the anemone's mouth closes tightest when it's all dark... Why is that? And it opens up under the lights? Is that normal behaviour?

Back
Top Bottom