Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is my clown ok?

Aloha, We have a tomato clown fish that is acting kind of strange. He seems to be swimming with his head up and tail down in the corner of the tank. He did this all day yesterday and didn't eat. Today he is swimming around normal and he ate. Do you know what this might be? Also what is the best food for tomato clowns? Thanks!

dolphineducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
i have had clowns do that, usually they seem to want to host something, if u ever see a clown in an anenome they swim in odd patterns. He pobably feels secure up against teh walls in the corner. If he's eatng and the water qualities are ok, and no other fish are bothering him, he will probab;y be fine

xxmoorishmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
My maroon did the same thing in a corner for a long time while resting or at night but was fine during the day and ate and acted normal. I agree... she might be hosting in the corner

Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yea, my perc does that, just swims and sleeps at night, LOL
SaltwaterTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a percula clown do the same thing, but I think it was mostly because I got him so young (3/4" long) and he immediately went into 6 weeks of quarantine (was exposed to ich), and he was never socialized with other fish, so I thought he was just lonely. He would bob up and down for hours in the same spot, or right towards the top of the water in the bubble stream, like he was swimming for his life, then get tired and go back to bobbing.

My next fish was another clown, and after he got through QT, I introduced them, and suddenly the smaller clown started getting out in the open, eating and participating more like a "normal" fish. But just so you know, it sounds like a lot of us have clowns who do it.

In order of setup:

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
my ocellaris acts wierd also. sometimes he sleeps on his side on top of a water return. i thought he was dead the first time. he is also very small and likes to swim into the current and then bob up and down until the SCWD sends water at him again. like another post mentioned, he is also the only fish in the tank. they are a strange fish. you think they are sick half of the time and the healthiest fish you have ever seen the other half. just my experiences so far

steve r

75g RR. 2x250 14k MH / 2x54 T5 act. 29g sump. ASM G1X skimmer. phosban reactor. 80lbs LS, 90lbs LR, 2x seio M620.
kole tang, bicolor angel, mandarin dragonette, ocellaris clown / BTA , cleaner shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, a variety of soft, SPS, and LPS corals, orange linckia star.
steve r is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com