Is my clownfish okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two tank raised false perc clownfish in my 30g tank with 2 peppermint shrimp and a shunk shrimp. The larger of the 2 clowns has been showing signs of being attacked on his (or rather her, I would think) tail and fins. The tail looks to have been chewed a bit and the fins looks a bit ragged. Everything else looks fine. No spots or signs or fugus or diease.

I also had a royal gamma until about 3 weeks ago. The Royal died one day for no apparent reason, which was a bit unsettling. But the tank has been fine with no problems for 3 weeks. All readings are good: Ammonia 0, nitrate, 0, nitrite 0, ph 8.2 temp 82, sg 1.023.

The fin & tail problem began before the Royal Gamma died and I can't tell if it's gotten worst or is the same since.

What is your best guess: Are the clowns fitting? Did the Royal attack?? Is my shunk shrimp trying to grab her? Is it a diease that I'm not familar with?
ANDWhat should I do? Leave them alone and hope for the best or is there something to do????

The shrimp are not going to do any damage to the clowns. What is the behaviour of the fish towards each other? Is the other clown messing with it?

The tail looks to have been chewed a bit and the fins looks a bit ragged. Everything else looks fine. No spots or signs or fugus or diease.

Sounds like fin and tail rot. This is a bacterial infection which is easily handled by the use of E-mycin (Maracyn) in a quarantine tank, I would not dose in the main tank if at all possible (however, e-mycin is reef safe to a point).

I thought of fin & tail rot, but decided against it for 2 reasons. 1) no other signs of infection. No discoloration or rubbing or spots or anything like that. 2) My other clown and the Royal never exhibited any signs. even when the royal gamma died, his fins and tail were fine.

The clowns do interact quite a bit and will chase each other around a lot too. I have not "caught" the smaller one attacking the larger yet. But it is certainly possible.

1) no other signs of infection. No discoloration or rubbing or spots or anything like that.

There are not necessaily going to be other signs of infection. Sometimes the fins and tail do not even display any inflamation, they simply get ragged and rot away. Spots and rubbing are signs of parasitic infestation, very rarely do they indicate a bacterial infection.

2) My other clown and the Royal never exhibited any signs. even when the royal gamma died, his fins and tail were fine.

Fin and tail rot is a secondary bacterial infection. Other fish would not succumb unless they are under some form of stress or weakened by something else.

Okay. What are the danagers of treating the entire tank. It should be noted that I have shrimp and turbo snails.

I ask, because I have very bad luck with Q and hospital tanks and am afraid I'm going to kill him.

Hmmm, well the biggest danger to the tank is crashing the biological filter, which is a danger whenever treating with antibiotics. Other dangers are unbalancing the water chemistry. The e-mycin, while being reef safe, will kill some organisms in the tank, these organisms will then decay and add to the bioload. It is also possible that the antibiotic itself could be used as a nutrient for algae. If the clown is eating well, you could try purchasing an antibiotic treated food prior to treating the tank. IME, fin and tail rot is a weak bacteria, the antibiotic food may do the trick with the least amount of intervention on your part.

I'm not familar with antibiotic food. I'll go to my lfs and check around, but can you offer any advice on brand, type etc? Also, assume it's safe for the
'healthy' clown.

And, will the tail & fin heal or grow back once the fish is 'cured'? If not, how will i know it worked?

thanks for all your help

any advice on brand, type etc?

Well if your clowns will eat flake, that is what is typically available, I can't remember who manufactured it.

Also, assume it's safe for the
'healthy' clown.

Yes, it won't harm the healthy clown.

will the tail & fin heal or grow back once the fish is 'cured'?

Yes, you should notice within a few days the tail doesn't look quite as ragged. It may take weeks for the fin and tails to cmpletely grow back, but you should notice a difference within a few days to a week.

thanks. found it and started them on it today. we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom