Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy Is my coral dying?

I am not sure if I have a problem with my tank, or a piece of coral. I think the coral. I have a 140 gallon saltwater tank about 2 months old, (so I don't know what I am doing yet). Everything has been running great, the water has been perfect, I have only a few small pieces of coral and five starter fish. Last friday 8/8/08 I purchased a beautiful piece of bright pink finger coral ($200) and a chili pepper coral. The chili pepper looked week the first day or two but is adapting well. But, the pink coral looks worse everyday. I'm afraid it is'nt going to live. It has lost alot of color, (except underneath) it has become very limp, feathery looking and stringy like it is dissolving. Is there any hope of recovery, and is there something I could or should do?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm... bright pink and losing its color?

You might want to read this article and see if it sounds like your problem:

DyedCorals

You say the water is perfect, but putting up some actual numbers might help out!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info, it was right on the money. I went to where I bought the coral from. Told them the problem and they totally agreed with you. They had got some corals in from a dealer that they normally don't have problems with, but they noticed a few of them might have been dyed. I trust the shop I do business with and was releaved to know it wasn't a problem with my new tank. They are going to replace my coral, and have contacted all of there customers who might have the same problem. I think I know what to look out for now. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Glad your local fish store was so good about that. Many of them know they are dyed and sell them anyway and then won't replace them when they die. Sounds like you found a good place.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Water? View Post
...They had got some corals in from a dealer that they normally don't have problems with, but they noticed a few of them might have been dyed. I trust the shop I do business with and was releaved to know it wasn't a problem with my new tank. They are going to replace my coral, and have contacted all of there customers who might have the same problem. I think I know what to look out for now. Thanks again.
Glad to hear it worked out OK. (For you. Not the coral.) But I'd still keep an eye on the store - the fact they suspected they were dyed but sold them to you anyway without warning seems kind of odd.

Tags
coral, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com