Is my coral sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Water?

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 3" orange paddle sponge I bought a little over a month ago. Has been a good solid orange until a few days ago it started looking a little milky in some areas. Nothing changed in my tank. Perimeters have not changed, no new coral, no new fish.
What's the deal?

Like Mike said, when moving the sponge, was it kept submerged the entire time? Air can have negative results where sponges are concerned.

I don't know if it was before I got it but, I don't think I exposed it when I transfered it. I'm usually very careful about sort of thing. Wouln't it show problems before now?

Ok, well first off this is a filter feeder so not to say that you must feed this sponge, but if you prefer to keep your tank rather "sterile" then you might want to give a daily or three times/weekly phytoplankton and/or zooplankton diet a try along with churning the substrate up weekly so the detritus can be carried by the current. Speaking of current, it should be directed towards the broad side of the plane/paddle. Some folks even use silica additions since this is an important part of sponge intake, which can pose a problem with heavy ro/di users. This is a nonphotosynthetic sponge, but usually heralds from deeper water if I am not mistaken so I would lower it a bit? Hmmm, don't let algae encroach either, which usually provides a quick death. The white areas are probably signs of impending death due to nutrient loss, but these necrotic areas can also be cut; This is not a particularly hardy species of sponge (Stylissa?).

I'm feeding PhytoFeast daily. I don't have a good location to move it down, but I can move the rock branch over to shadow it more. I can adjust my powerheads for more currant on it. I think my calcuim is a little low (340) but I don't know if that makes any differents.
The temp. is a steady 80.1 - 80.4 is this to high?
Should I be feeding more or something different?

Phyto-feast should be fine and the calcium makes no different. Your temperature is fine. As I said, this particular type of sponge just doesn't seem to do well, but do adjust the current if need be.

Back
Top Bottom