is my duncan sick or just fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwaenz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need help. Anyone knows whats happening to my duncan?

Its body is getting more rounder than it was before. It also has this bump near the top. I feed em every other day. Parameters all good.

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 480
I would not feed it so much. You can over do it and kill the coral. It won't be able to break down the food and it will become toxic. a couple times a week is plenty.

Oh thanks. But is it ok not to spot feed it?

I only feed my ducan twice a week at the most, some weeks I don't feed them. It is only a tiny little piece when I do feed.

Oh thanks. But is it ok not to spot feed it?

I'll answer this...

Duncan coral are not filter feeders.. so... no, it probably won't benefit from broadcast feeding. Not unless you broadcast feed your tank with larger then normal fish food. If the food is big enough, and happens to graze the duncans tentacles it will get stuck to the tentacles and then the coral will retract the tentacle and bring the food stuck to the tentacle to its mouth.

Spot feeding these corals is generally the most effective way to feed them.

Zer0 said:
I'll answer this...

Duncan coral are not filter feeders.. so... no, it probably won't benefit from broadcast feeding. Not unless you broadcast feed your tank with larger then normal fish food. If the food is big enough, and happens to graze the duncans tentacles it will get stuck to the tentacles and then the coral will retract the tentacle and bring the food stuck to the tentacle to its mouth.

Spot feeding these corals is generally the most effective way to feed them.

Wow thanks! Anyway, looks like the bump I was talkin about seems to be a new head growing. :)

I do a small broadcast feed with mysis shrimp. I thaw a cube out with warm water and put a pinch of them infront of my PH. After doing this for awhile, I know just enough that it wont last more than about 5 minutes in my tank. My duncan is under the flow of this and will catch them once and awhile...not very often. I target feed each of its heads a piece of mysis every other day and it is growing quite quickly, from 2 to 7 heads in about 2ish months.

Back
Top Bottom