Is my Duncan's sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Duncan and it has been ages since its polyps fully extended, they are just stubby rounded ones all the time atm. Could this be sickness or something else?

I've tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and calcium. All are fine

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pics below. How do I test alkalinity?

They certainly do not look good. What kind of lighting do you have over this tank?
Alkalinity needs to be watched more than calcium does in my experience. You would use an alkalinity test kit to do so.

The tank is a Rekord800 that I upgraded the lighting too but no idea what too? May still have the boxes I bought them in? I'll have to get an alkalinity test kit then.

I've had to phone the shop I bought them from to see what they sell that would fit. Pretty sure they are arcadia 28W t5 bulbs one is blue one is white. They are quite old now though - might be getting on for two years?

They definitely need replacing. T5 lamps need replacing every 9 months or so. Look into getting ATI or Giesemann lamps for replacements. They make a difference. What size lamps are these? What are the dimensions of your tank?

It has a hood so they fit in that, it is 31.5" (W), 13.5" (D), 13.5" ( H). The actual bulb/tube measures roughly 22". Would I need to remove hood to add lamps?

I would get an ATI blue plus and an ATI aquablue special. Yes, you'll have to take off the hood and replace the lamps. They just twist to unlock. You are looking for 24" lamps....even though they measure 22".

Do you have a recommended seller for them? So they'd fit in my existing hood or I'd need a setting fitting for them?

They should fit right in your existing hood. Where are you located? Can you order from Bulk Reef Supply, Marine depot, or Salty Supply? Just google "ATI Blue Plus" and you will see plenty of people who sell them. If they aren't accessible in your area, purchase the Giesemann equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom