Is my Green Bubble Tip sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimchic326

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We got our GBT on Sunday and he was open with bubbles and moving around all day and night. He finally stopped moving yesterday. But he closed up a little during lunch yesterday then opened again. Did the same thing today and now he is closed again with a little white string looking thing coming out of it. What does that mean? I attached a pic but couldn't get a good pic of the white string. Thanks for looking...

Attachments

• image-844744917.jpg
    image-844744917.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 109
Unfortunately it doesn't look very well at all :( How did you acclimate? What kind of lighting is this guy under? What are your params?

He came on a piece of live rock. I floated him for 5 min. Added half a bag of water or 5 min then put the rock in its current location. Nitrite is at 0. Nitrate is at 10. Ph is 8.0. It's80 degrees and salinity is 1.024. Light is 15w T8. The store I got him said he should be fine and to place him about midway up the tank. He is a little higher than midway. What should I do?

The fact that he keeps opening is a good sign right? Just not sure why he keeps closing....

I am afraid that is no where near enough light for an anemone. You should also check out some of the articles here on acclimating new livestock. Nems and all inverts really are quite sensitive to changes is parameters and need to be acclimated over a few hours. I use a piece of airline tubing and siphon the tank water into the bag, I tie a loose knot in it so it literally drips
(about one drip per second) your LFS has given you some bad advice on this occasion and if it were me I would return it. How old is your tank? What are you future plans for it? I can't think of many corals that can survive under your lighting, perhaps some mushrooms or zoas?

Returning it would be hard cuz my LFS is an hour away. I've had the tank for over a year and plan on keeping it. Looks like I should just get new lights. He's opening up again. Which is a good sign right?

Attachments

• image-2053940494.jpg
    image-2053940494.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 106
Ok cool, what size tank ? If you had the chance to upgrade those lights then that would be good. Hopefully it can pull through. Opening and closing frequently is not normal I believe. Mine all close at night but remain open during the daylight. You don't want it moving at all around the tank, it should find a happy place and stay there. Keep us posted on how it's doing, if it start melting its time to take it out :(

It's a 75 gallon. Ya I'm already looking into new ones. He's almost completely open now. It's weird though because he is always open when the lights are off. At least when I see it. Can't really look at it while I'm sleeping.

Looks like I might have received a hitchhiker on the rock. Looks like a star fish.

I'll def keep you posted. Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3889319889.jpg
    image-3889319889.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2549652972.jpg
    image-2549652972.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 83
It looks ok, but you definitely need better lighting as soon as you can. That anemone's life depends on it. I wouldn't trust that store for squat.

Back
Top Bottom