Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is my heliofungia sick?

Over the past 2 days a small part of the coral is not opening. Now it is about 1/4 of the coral. It is not touching anything, but I did see a couple of hermits walking on it a few times. All water parameters look good;
salinity 1.026
temp 79
nitrate 5 mg/l
alk 11 dkh
ca 425
ph 8 (my sailfert kit does not work well)

Even when the hermits are not on it, the same section is staying closed. It ate last week a small piece of krill, and expelled a lot of waste the past 2 days.

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

It sounds like the hermits may have injured it, or it may just be getting too much flow or...my heliofungia used to go through periods where it looked like doo doo, but never in one area.

You may find this interesting.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...003/invert.htm

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you kevin, I think he may be getting too much current, because there are no signs of infection as described in the article. I am going to try and move him to see if less current helps. Thank you as always for your helpful advice!
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
Old 01-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I moved him and he is not opening up as much. I think he is getting too little current. When I was moving him I noticed a few broken pieces of tentacles on the substrate. My husband said that he saw some hermits on it last night. I think the hermits are eating it! I am sick about this!!! Has anyone heard of this?
Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
steve-s

The crabs may not be the only problem but if injured they will definately make things worse. When injured you must be very sure they get adequate water flow to help prevent infections (mainly brown jelly disease) but not too much flow to cause further recession. Also be very sure sustrate never gets lodged between the sclerites. That will increase the possibility of infection and impeded new growth.

If at all possible depending on the size of the coral, get a berry basket like the ones used at the local market. Make sure the holes are small enough to prevent further damage from vagabons but do not impede proper water flow. Clean it well in very hot water without using cleansing agents, turned upside down and place over the coral. You can probabley fashion something yourself but this will give you a place to start. Keep the nitrates as low as possible through water changes and add a good marine liquid vitamin to the water regularly that is high in vitamin C. This will help reduce or eliminate the instances of infection and aid the coral in new growth.

If you have any other LPS corals in the tank be watchful for stray polyps. Some LPS tentacles have a habit of breaking free from the parent coral and carry very powerful nematocysts. If these land on your coral, they can also be the cause of the flesh errosion. If removed in time, the coral will often recover quickly water quality depending.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

His flesh is about half gone now, shpuld I try to save him or remove him from the tank????
Old 01-17-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybeas
His flesh is about half gone now, shpuld I try to save him or remove him from the tank????
If the degradation of the coral is not affecting the water quality and no sign of brown jelly disease, there is still a chance it may be saved however slight. If the water quality is degrading as a result of the plate, it may be prudent to remove the coral to prevent further issues that may spread to other corals.

Can you post a pic

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not experienced in this particular species, but isn't a ph of 8 a tad low? I know that the difference between 8 and 8.4 or 8.5 is nominal, but on the ph scale where 7 is nuetral and 3 will burn your skin off, a few points act exponentially, not linearly. Does his ph seem suspect to anyone? Again, I have no clue what is causing it, but this is my only strand of suspicion.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here it is
Old 01-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I put a vegetable strainer on it to protect it. It is getting water flow but not enough current to blow the tentacles around like he likes. Should I leave it on? This is my first sickness in the nine months I have had this tank up.

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com