Is my heliofungia sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over the past 2 days a small part of the coral is not opening. Now it is about 1/4 of the coral. It is not touching anything, but I did see a couple of hermits walking on it a few times. All water parameters look good;
salinity 1.026
temp 79
nitrate 5 mg/l
alk 11 dkh
ca 425
ph 8 (my sailfert kit does not work well)

Even when the hermits are not on it, the same section is staying closed. It ate last week a small piece of krill, and expelled a lot of waste the past 2 days. :cry:

Thank you kevin, I think he may be getting too much current, because there are no signs of infection as described in the article. I am going to try and move him to see if less current helps. Thank you as always for your helpful advice! :wave:

I moved him and he is not opening up as much. I think he is getting too little current. When I was moving him I noticed a few broken pieces of tentacles on the substrate. My husband said that he saw some hermits on it last night. I think the hermits are eating it! I am sick about this!!! Has anyone heard of this? :cry:

The crabs may not be the only problem but if injured they will definately make things worse. When injured you must be very sure they get adequate water flow to help prevent infections (mainly brown jelly disease) but not too much flow to cause further recession. Also be very sure sustrate never gets lodged between the sclerites. That will increase the possibility of infection and impeded new growth.

If at all possible depending on the size of the coral, get a berry basket like the ones used at the local market. Make sure the holes are small enough to prevent further damage from vagabons but do not impede proper water flow. Clean it well in very hot water without using cleansing agents, turned upside down and place over the coral. You can probabley fashion something yourself but this will give you a place to start. Keep the nitrates as low as possible through water changes and add a good marine liquid vitamin to the water regularly that is high in vitamin C. This will help reduce or eliminate the instances of infection and aid the coral in new growth.

If you have any other LPS corals in the tank be watchful for stray polyps. Some LPS tentacles have a habit of breaking free from the parent coral and carry very powerful nematocysts. If these land on your coral, they can also be the cause of the flesh errosion. If removed in time, the coral will often recover quickly water quality depending.

Cheers
Steve

His flesh is about half gone now, shpuld I try to save him or remove him from the tank????

bizzybeas said:
His flesh is about half gone now, shpuld I try to save him or remove him from the tank????
If the degradation of the coral is not affecting the water quality and no sign of brown jelly disease, there is still a chance it may be saved however slight. If the water quality is degrading as a result of the plate, it may be prudent to remove the coral to prevent further issues that may spread to other corals.

Can you post a pic :?:

Cheers
Steve

I'm not experienced in this particular species, but isn't a ph of 8 a tad low? I know that the difference between 8 and 8.4 or 8.5 is nominal, but on the ph scale where 7 is nuetral and 3 will burn your skin off, a few points act exponentially, not linearly. Does his ph seem suspect to anyone? Again, I have no clue what is causing it, but this is my only strand of suspicion.

I put a vegetable strainer on it to protect it. It is getting water flow but not enough current to blow the tentacles around like he likes. Should I leave it on? This is my first sickness in the nine months I have had this tank up. :cry:

kidafius said:
isn't a ph of 8 a tad low?.
Depends on the time of day tested but in itself will not cause this kind of issue with a coral. As mentioned above by bizzybeas, the test may also be faulty. If tested late in the day, the ph should be corrected for possible problems with gas exchange, GPH or the like.

Cheers
Steve

bizzybeas said:
I put a vegetable strainer on it to protect it.
As long as the strainer is plastic and allows water to flow freely and does not block the light too much, it should be okay. I hope you rinsed the strainer very well in hot water without soap? You must protect it from further damage to have any chance of recovery. I would also recommend a trip to the local pharmacy and get a small eye dropper. The ones used to administer liquid meds to babies are great. You need to carefully and gentley remove any debris from the coral and between the scerites (exsposed skelaton). Any irritation will further the recession. If adding the vitamin C, the nitrates are as low as possible (<5 ppm) and nothing aggitates the coral further, it still has a possibility of recovery. Be aware though the coral is quite severley damaged and may not. The coral still has more than 50% of it's flesh and the mouth seems to still be intact so there is hope.

It is getting water flow but not enough current to blow the tentacles around like he likes. Should I leave it on?
Plates do best in lower flow setting where the tentacles are gentley brushed about. If the water flow is too strong or directed at the coral for a sustained period, that could also cause this kind of recession. If you can see the remaining tentacles move even somewhat, it should be fine but as I said be sure the strainer is not blocking the light as well.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you Steve for all of your advice. The rest of his flesh looked like it was receding, even his mouth. I took him out. :cry: :cry:

Back
Top Bottom