Is My Hermit Crab Okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyAsian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently bought 2 hermit crabs about a week ago. All as been perfectly fine and they have both been healthy.

Until today- the smaller of the two has recently been very lethargic and just sitting around in the rocks not moving- he is definitely alive but I'm not sure if there is anything wrong, the larger one seems perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Parameters-

Nitrate: 0-1ppm

Phosphate: 0ppm

KH: 10dkh

Calcium: 460ppm

So I recently bought 2 hermit crabs about a week ago. All as been perfectly fine and they have both been healthy.

Until today- the smaller of the two has recently been very lethargic and just sitting around in the rocks not moving- he is definitely alive but I'm not sure if there is anything wrong, the larger one seems perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Parameters-

Nitrate: 0-1ppm

Phosphate: 0ppm

KH: 10dkh

Calcium: 460ppm
Hermit crab:1554711614345.jpg

Does it seem big for it's shell /as in needs to move up? Have any bigger shells.

Sometimes when they are in a large group they have to pick a shell quickly they don't like that much to avoid being eaten.

And also if you put a bit a food next to him does he seem happy about it?

Does it seem big for it's shell /as in needs to move up? Have any bigger shells.

Sometimes when they are in a large group they have to pick a shell quickly they don't like that much to avoid being eaten.

And also if you put a bit a food next to him does he seem happy about it?
You're right, I've given him a look over and he's almost popping out of it.

Where should I get some shells from?

Could I boil ones from the beach?

Often there are fresher ones from the lps often used by land hermits so they look nice!

Online. You could give him a beach shell option, I would low simmer them for a few minutes soak a little if there seems like something inside still, usually they are rolled around enough from the beach to clean out any dead occupant if it already wasn't eaten!

Most all of the hermits I have had wanted to change shells if not that night with in a few days. Not positive of the super tiny ones I have frequently for my nanos. But often seem to have new shells.

Reefcleaners has them for sale. Cheap.

You can tell him which size you would like and he'll send them for you. You can even send him a pic with a coin or tape measure so he can see the little guys with an email.

Often there are fresher ones from the lps often used by land hermits so they look nice!

Online. You could give him a beach shell option, I would low simmer them for a few minutes soak a little if there seems like something inside still, usually they are rolled around enough from the beach to clean out any dead occupant if it already wasn't eaten!

Most all of the hermits I have had wanted to change shells if not that night with in a few days. Not positive of the super tiny ones I have frequently for my nanos. But often seem to have new shells.

Reefcleaners has them for sale. Cheap.

You can tell him which size you would like and he'll send them for you. You can even send him a pic with a coin or tape measure so he can see the little guys with an email.
Thank you very much!

You are most welcome. Hoping it makes your Hermit feel better.

He has good and generous allotment (extras) of clean up crews, and is well reviewed. Personally I have done business with John numerous times over the years and always received excellent personal service. (And I don't own stock in his business or get anything for saying so, lol).

Back
Top Bottom