Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is my Rose Anemone Dying?

So I got this rose bubble tip anemone last week. It took a day or so to find a spot that it liked and since then it has been doing well, puffed up and it even ate half a silverside I gave him. I did a 20% water change 2 days ago. It was nice and puffed up most of today and just as I was passing the tank a few minutes ago, it was completely deflated and oozing some mucus like substance from its mouth.

I noticed right next to it was a little crab that I had never seen before. I am guessing that this little crab came along with my live rock. Maybe the crab somehow disturbed it?

I have had the tank running for a year now. Its a 50 gallon with about 70 lbs of live rock. I have 220W power compacts, which are about a month old (I was told that would be enough for a RBTA by one LFS, but that it wasnt good enough lighting by another LFS). Water parameters are all at 0, Ph is 8.4, salinity is about 1.25, temp is 80F. I have 2 percula clowns, 1 rock blenny, 1 mandarin dragonnette, 1 firefish. I have 5 snails and about 10 hermit crabs. As far as corals, I have a small frogspawn, hammer coral, yellow polyps and a duncan.

It seems like this kind of behavior is normal for anemones from what I have been reading. Should I be concerned? Please see the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	50758  

Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it was pooping. it's fine. just try not to feed it large pieces of food. a pea sized amount every so often is more than enough. it's stressful for the anemone to process large amounts of food.
i'm not sure about the lighting, but this is a not a symptom of not enough light. it will start to lose color if it's a lighting issue.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That must have been it. When I woke up this morning he was back to normal. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to clark4feathers
my bubble tip happen to catch a pretty good size half of silverside. Could this be its problem also?..It blew its foot up this am and now looks so sad and deflated?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't know clark. i saw your thread but didn't have a definite explanation for you, so i said nothing. maybe so. when in doubt, do a water change!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did a water change last night. I have a nano 28 with the pro led hood. I have heard conflicting ideas on weather I need a skimmer or not
I have a small eel and they are so messy when they eat
I have a med size saddleback clown. That is it.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For that size tank I would skip the skimmer. Just doing water changes should be enough to get you by and keep the water within parameters. I don't run a skimmer in my 29g cube and havent seen any adverse effects and I am an severe over feeder. LOL I also do a pwc every week though, but thats easy peezy with such a small tank, literally takes minutes to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank do you recommend a skimmer?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it depends on the fish. But usually when you get to the 40g and up range in my opinion it's time to look into them.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a skimmer. I am goig to run it. Cannot hurt.

Tags
anemome, anemone, dyi, dying, dying anemone, rose anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com