Is my Rose Anemone Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got this rose bubble tip anemone last week. It took a day or so to find a spot that it liked and since then it has been doing well, puffed up and it even ate half a silverside I gave him. I did a 20% water change 2 days ago. It was nice and puffed up most of today and just as I was passing the tank a few minutes ago, it was completely deflated and oozing some mucus like substance from its mouth.

I noticed right next to it was a little crab that I had never seen before. I am guessing that this little crab came along with my live rock. Maybe the crab somehow disturbed it?

I have had the tank running for a year now. Its a 50 gallon with about 70 lbs of live rock. I have 220W power compacts, which are about a month old (I was told that would be enough for a RBTA by one LFS, but that it wasnt good enough lighting by another LFS). Water parameters are all at 0, Ph is 8.4, salinity is about 1.25, temp is 80F. I have 2 percula clowns, 1 rock blenny, 1 mandarin dragonnette, 1 firefish. I have 5 snails and about 10 hermit crabs. As far as corals, I have a small frogspawn, hammer coral, yellow polyps and a duncan.

It seems like this kind of behavior is normal for anemones from what I have been reading. Should I be concerned? Please see the pic.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 188
it was pooping. it's fine. just try not to feed it large pieces of food. a pea sized amount every so often is more than enough. it's stressful for the anemone to process large amounts of food.
i'm not sure about the lighting, but this is a not a symptom of not enough light. it will start to lose color if it's a lighting issue.

my bubble tip happen to catch a pretty good size half of silverside. Could this be its problem also?..It blew its foot up this am and now looks so sad and deflated?

i don't know clark. i saw your thread but didn't have a definite explanation for you, so i said nothing. maybe so. when in doubt, do a water change!

Did a water change last night. I have a nano 28 with the pro led hood. I have heard conflicting ideas on weather I need a skimmer or not
I have a small eel and they are so messy when they eat
I have a med size saddleback clown. That is it.

For that size tank I would skip the skimmer. Just doing water changes should be enough to get you by and keep the water within parameters. I don't run a skimmer in my 29g cube and havent seen any adverse effects and I am an severe over feeder. LOL I also do a pwc every week though, but thats easy peezy with such a small tank, literally takes minutes to do. :)

I think it depends on the fish. But usually when you get to the 40g and up range in my opinion it's time to look into them. :)

Back
Top Bottom