Is my shroom dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My metallic green shroom has recently begin to turn white. The attached photo shows the one in the middle has almost lost its brownish color with the green tip. Is it dying? And what can I do?

Looks like they might be bleaching some. What kind of light do you have them under? Might be an idea to move them lower in the tank or more shaded area. Shrooms in general do not do well under intense light.

Any nearby corals?

Cheers
Steve

They are just under 2 x 40W florescent which I wouldn't think it is a lot. No, there is no other coral nearby.

Steve, I just had a look at it and the bleached shroom has detached from the rock. Is it too late to save it?

You right, 2x40w shouldn't cause bleaching. If anything, it should simpley get a darker brown. If the shroom has detached it does not mean it's dead, it's simpley looking for a better place. They can easily move about when they want.

I would still suggest trying to move the rock to a differnet area of the tank that has less light and low water flow and see if they do better. The one that has unattached itself can also be placed elsewhere with the same idea in mind.

How are the water parameters?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve! I have moved it to somewhere dimmer with a lower water flow. The water parameters are fine; PH 8.2, NO2 0, NO3 0, CA 400, dKH 10. I also have two fraqs of button polyps and they are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom