Is this a problem with my yellow tang???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
last night I saw my yellow tang got sucked to the powerhead intake (those has got a grill type at the bottom) and can't move. My tang is a very tiny juvenile tang when I move him away from the powerhead I saw there is a red mark on his side don't know how long it was stucked there.

But not long afterward it started to heal and the red mark has now gone away and he is back to eating the algae in the tank and nothing unusual on his side. But will this cause any long term damage or internal damage that I can't see. I will say he has been stucked there sideway for at leat 15 or 20 minutes.

I have since turn down the powerhead and reduced the suction. I had it on full open because I was fighting cyano the lfs asked me to increase flow but now I rather have cyano then losing my little tang.

Sounds to me like it's already recovering. If this doesn't happen again it should fully recover. Yea, it's a good idea to lower the power of the ph until the tang fully recovers or gets a little bigger.

before the hurricane, when i was living in new orleans,la i had a yellow tang in a 75g and one day part of his tail fin cut off due to the same thing, it was so cool because day after day i would watch it slowly grow back sw is so cool :)

AquaReefer said:
thats why all my power heads have sponges
You would think after all the messages about fish/inverts getting sucked up and hurt or killed everyone would have one. :roll:

Personally I’m not a huge fan of sponges on the ph because of having to clean the gunk off of them and use screens with holes instead but some kind of protection is a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom