Is this coral sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrodys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just starting my tank. I got my water tested and fs said safe to add corals I bought this one as one of my starters it wasnt expensive. I have been putting micro algae in the tank fs said that's what they eat. Doesn't look like it did when I bought it. Please help just starting out

Attachments

• image-782512841.jpg
    image-782512841.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 95
If you're just starting your cycle that is the worst time to get corals. The slightest hint of ammonia will kill them.

Best bet is to take them back. Even doing massive water changes will not be benaficial. 1: as stated even a small trace of ammonia or nitrite can kill the coral.
2: water changes will stall your cycle because you'll be removing the ammonia the bacteria needs to feed and reproduce.

Tank cycled Fs tested water said fully cycled and safe.

No, that coral isn't sick, but they were wrong telling you that it eats micro algae. that coral will accept meaty foods, but feeding isn't mandatory, as it gets what it needs from your lighting.
I would discontinue the phytoplankton or whatever you are adding.

I've cycled all of my tanks in a month, give or take. you must have had some nasty rock to start with.

Thank you. Will try meaty foods. Lights are on at least 8 hours a day

corals will contract their polyps when they feel like it. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes you can't tell there is. Sometimes they're plotting against you with the sea urchin...

Back
Top Bottom