Is This Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My purple firefish has been sleeping under a rock with my fairy wrasse. I noticed tiny white spots on her body. I read that it could just be from moving around tank between live rock and substrate (live sand in my case). She ate today and behaving normally. The spots are to the right of the center. One up and one down her body. Best photo I could take with my iphone.
Hoping its not Ich.

image-3797712286.jpg

I can't tell from the photo, but based on your description it could be. It could just be sand as well.

Keep an eye on it and see if anymore spots develop if they do its probable ich

cleaner shrimp will not do anything for the ich, the ich is under the fishes skin where it can't be reached by the shrimp

You are using two methods that do not cure Ich. If you have a QT, why not treat with copper or use Hyposalinity? That cures the problem.

Remember to wait 30 days from the time you see the last white spot disappear before adding back into your DT.

From the pic, I can't see anything.. I would observe over the next 24-48hrs and see if anymore show. It could very well be sand/liverock..

Frank

From the pic, I can't see anything.. I would observe over the next 24-48hrs and see if anymore show. It could very well be sand/liverock..

Frank

Yeah it was all sand. It was freaky. I got the cleaner shrimp because this was a wake up call for me to do what I can to protect my investment in other fish, corals and live rocks. The cleaner shrimp wasn't meant to cure Ich but rather to clean up parasites.
Thanks.

Cleaner shrimp may get some parasites, but the parasites are usually in the skin where shrimp (or cleaner wrasses) can't get to them. The white spots people see with Ich is a skin reaction to the burrowing parasite, so when they are "cleaning", its usually more skin than anything else. It's cool to watch though.

Back
Top Bottom