Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squidly

Aquarium Advice Activist
So since I've had sun polyps in trained it to open in the day feeding it every day. I know it's a little much but it never ceased to open around the clock and lately this isn't the case. Iv dropped down to feeding 3 times a week and The last two days its heads have been really fat. Sometimes they're even stretched out real long but it hasn't opened at all, even at night. Should I be worried and what does its actions tell me about its health?

Attachments

• image-1451545985.jpg
    image-1451545985.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 138
How long have you had them and how long have you been feeding this often? I noticed a few years back that when I overdid feeding of LPS some pieces would have a "meltdown" of sorts. I'm thinking it was like a nutrient overload.
Without knowing everything else about your system, I couldn't say the feeding is or isn't the reason they are closed.

I've had them about 3 weeks and fed everyday about 2 weeks about 2/5-half a cube of mysis. In the Lfs they were feeding everyday and suggested to do the same until it opens regularly. Although, as I said before it doesn't appear to be melting away, dying, or sucked in from starvation it's just super plump!

You don't have to feed them every day. I know folks that never feed them and they do fine. Just give it a few days and see how it goes.

Don't have any experience with sun polyps, but I know some corals will close up after being fed to digest, then expel waste. Could this be what's going on?

I would say over feeding, I have sun corals that open at the same time every day, regardless of whether its a feeding day. I feed the tank every two days and broadcast feed once a week. I have never directly feed the sun coral and had it over a year...

You may also add Iodine, my rainbow welso coral was doing great for a few months. Then I made the mistake and added sand and through my tank into a mini cycle. It took two months to figure out it needed iodine. It took one drop per 25 gallons and oh what a difference it made. I understand its in the salt, however in a 29 bio cube there's not that much and everything uses it. Give it a try. You should notice something in a few days. Also, get a lfs to check your water. Always helps to have someone else check.

Do not add iodine, or ANYTHING for that matter, without testing your water FIRST to see if you actually need it. There is plenty of iodine in your salt mix. I've never added iodine to any tank and haven't had any deficiencies.

I believe I stated getting your water tested at the LFS. However the iodine worked for me as EVERTHING living uses it. Corals especially. If you have corals you will need mineral supplements. I understand your salt mixes have some trace elements. But not all salt is created equal. But if you go to the LFS make sure they test for minerals. Otherwise you wasted your time. It might help to invested in a coral reef test kit. Good luck.

How much iodine are you ingesting? Just what's in your table salt? Perhaps you take a couple drops here and there too, because you surely need it. Bad idea to add anything to the tank without testing. It will come back to haunt you when it builds up enough. All reef grade salts have plenty of iodine.
It's completely false that you will need to add supplements to the tank if you have corals. Everything you need is in your salt mix.

Man. You don't listen or read. Test water. Wow. Your like a broken record. And why would you personally attack someone and then repeat exactly what they said? Oh I know. Your stuck behind a computer screen. This forum is to help. You just feel the need to use someone else's ideas and repeat it like its your own.

You may also add Iodine, my rainbow welso coral was doing great for a few months. Then I made the mistake and added sand and through my tank into a mini cycle. It took two months to figure out it needed iodine. It took one drop per 25 gallons and oh what a difference it made. I understand its in the salt, however in a 29 bio cube there's not that much and everything uses it. Give it a try. You should notice something in a few days. Also, get a lfs to check your water. Always helps to have someone else check.
No. I don't want you giving bad advice. It's stupid to dump things in without testing. This is what you told the OP to do. How did you arrive at 1 drop per 25 gallons? Did you test every day until the iodine levels were that of NSW? Even in a 29 gallon tank water changes are enough. I'd be willing to bet it's not iodine.

No. I don't want you giving bad advice. It's stupid to dump things in without testing. This is what you told the OP to do. How did you arrive at 1 drop per 25 gallons? Did you test every day until the iodine levels were that of NSW? Even in a 29 gallon tank water changes are enough. I'd be willing to bet it's not iodine.

Read the directions. You test first to find out your levels. Like I said test water. Geez

Sorry to step in, but Yes C5 did say to test. Mr X echoed that. Bottom line is the OP needs to test. If Iodine is low, then consider adding. If its not, then there is no need. It might be something else deficient, but I agree with X that if you are using a quality marine salt and doing regular water changes to re supplement everything, there is very little chance that anything will be deficient and very little chance that you will ever need to add anything.

C5...after you have been on this forum for a while, you will probably discover that Mr X is one of the more knowledgable folks on here (at least IMO)...he's certainly not going off what other people have said for advice.

Back
Top Bottom