Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is this normal?

So since I've had sun polyps in trained it to open in the day feeding it every day. I know it's a little much but it never ceased to open around the clock and lately this isn't the case. Iv dropped down to feeding 3 times a week and The last two days its heads have been really fat. Sometimes they're even stretched out real long but it hasn't opened at all, even at night. Should I be worried and what does its actions tell me about its health?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1451545985.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	186876  

Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How long have you had them and how long have you been feeding this often? I noticed a few years back that when I overdid feeding of LPS some pieces would have a "meltdown" of sorts. I'm thinking it was like a nutrient overload.
Without knowing everything else about your system, I couldn't say the feeding is or isn't the reason they are closed.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had them about 3 weeks and fed everyday about 2 weeks about 2/5-half a cube of mysis. In the Lfs they were feeding everyday and suggested to do the same until it opens regularly. Although, as I said before it doesn't appear to be melting away, dying, or sucked in from starvation it's just super plump!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't have to feed them every day. I know folks that never feed them and they do fine. Just give it a few days and see how it goes.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't have any experience with sun polyps, but I know some corals will close up after being fed to digest, then expel waste. Could this be what's going on?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought they only opened at night?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say over feeding, I have sun corals that open at the same time every day, regardless of whether its a feeding day. I feed the tank every two days and broadcast feed once a week. I have never directly feed the sun coral and had it over a year...
Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You may also add Iodine, my rainbow welso coral was doing great for a few months. Then I made the mistake and added sand and through my tank into a mini cycle. It took two months to figure out it needed iodine. It took one drop per 25 gallons and oh what a difference it made. I understand its in the salt, however in a 29 bio cube there's not that much and everything uses it. Give it a try. You should notice something in a few days. Also, get a lfs to check your water. Always helps to have someone else check.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not add iodine, or ANYTHING for that matter, without testing your water FIRST to see if you actually need it. There is plenty of iodine in your salt mix. I've never added iodine to any tank and haven't had any deficiencies.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I believe I stated getting your water tested at the LFS. However the iodine worked for me as EVERTHING living uses it. Corals especially. If you have corals you will need mineral supplements. I understand your salt mixes have some trace elements. But not all salt is created equal. But if you go to the LFS make sure they test for minerals. Otherwise you wasted your time. It might help to invested in a coral reef test kit. Good luck.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com