Is this normal for a leather coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mighty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46g bowfront that I started in early September. My leather was doing really well until a few days ago. It appeared to have grown over an inch in just 2 weeks. Now, it is shriveled up and looks dead. The attached picture is from two days ago. It looks much worse today. Any ideas? My temp is still a little high-- tank recovering from Ich.

Custom Sea Life- one 55w CFL and 10,000k actinic
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 10
Nitrites- 0
Salinity- 1.024
temp- 81
Ph- 8.2
Phosphates- 0

Attachments

• PA130303.jpg
    PA130303.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 98
  • PA130305.jpg
    PA130305.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 107
Leather corals will do what we call sloughing. They do this occasionally most times every few weeks. Mine do it all the time. It will look good and all of a sudden look bad and then the next day it will be OK. You water parameters look ok. How is it today?

My temp is still a little high-- tank recovering from Ich.
What is your temp?
What did you use to treat the fish? Did you put medication in the tank with the coral?

The coral is even worse now. It has completetely died off, with the exception of one new branch that seems perfectly fine. I used Marine Aquaria No-Ich. I added to the tank while the coral was in there. The product claims to be reef safe, and becomes neutral after five days. The temp right now is 79. I have a 300W heater for a 46g bowfront-- I went a little overboard. I have to make very small adjustments or the temp fluctuates too much.

I had one do the exact same thing. It released a toxin when it died and nuked my whole tank. Still trying to recover.

That's rough. The coral has been wrecked for three or four days now and I haven't noticed any critters dying, but that's good to know that the possibility exists. I've been considering setting up a QT. This will definitely motivate me.

Here's the latest picture. Any ideas? There's one new sprout, but the rest is toast.

Attachments

• PA190001.jpg
    PA190001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
  • PA200004.jpg
    PA200004.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 72
If the one sprout is looking decent I say leave it in there. Keep an eye on it and if it starts to wither then I would remove it as well.

Back
Top Bottom