Is this thing killing my bubble coral??? please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all I really need some input. I have a bubble coral that as many of you know that is my pride and joy. Look at the feb 19 pic in my gallery :) well needless to say for the last 10 days it has been steadly going down hill and I am at a total loss. Everything else is going great look at the coraline on the rock:) My lvls are great nitrate nitrite is 0 and all is well nitrates are at 10 but not a great cause for concern the refugium is on the way and that should help that. ANYWAY back to the bubble.. Looking at it today and just confused and at a loss then my wife notices this red thing on his back.. We have been watching it for about 2 hrs now and it is like a little red thing in a clear tube. It spins, retracts when my shrimp walks by and comes back to the top of the tube when he leaves. What my concern is is that I cannot see where the coral ends and it begins could it a have mabye burrowed through his shell and is eating his insides or what? I have hesitaed to come here as to not seem so the sky is fallingish like I have in the past but this is just getting worse and worse to the point he is retracting from his skeleton I can see bone and I am very concerned. Could this be the cause should i just take a razorblade to it?? Will perhaps make him worse if I just kill this thing?? More importantly what is it?? Please help

Thanks

Doan

well looking at the pic it is really hard to see. could you maybe circle it or some thing. is it in the center of the pic?

Yup that red dot it sticks out about 1/8 of an inch from the coral.. Right in the middle on the hard base of the coral..

Thanks

Doan

The red might be something the pic is not that well defined. Is that a yellow sponge lower near the crown of the coral? If so, that may be your problem. It could be a type of boring sponge (Cliona sp.). Most typically do not kill the coral but do hamper it's health some. A quality coral parasite dip should get rid of it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom