Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
very useful tread, thanks....

do you normally do a dip of some sort as well?

srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #22
Personally no but some do. If you decide to go that route, I'd check out >>this post<< by Sam. It is quite informative. Just be very sure of what you are doing. If not done properly you could just as easily cause more harm than good.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Originally Posted by steve-s
"Personally I do not believe in treating something that "may" exist. I treat only what does exist. Hyposalinity is a great treatment when used properly but I do not think it should be used as a just in case.

If the fish has something that requires the use of copper such as velvet, you must end the hypo, bring up the salinity and then begin treatment. In many cases, valuable time will be lost in the process. Raising the salinity must be done much slower than lowering it."
I'll second this. I was treating for what I thought was ich with hypo. It turned out to be velvet (or both). During the time used to raise the spg, I lost 3 fish.
IMO, I would just stand by with copper, or be ready to lower the spg.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:33 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you go about cleaning a QT? I'm trying to figure out how to set one up as well. It seems that they are small and have little filtration so would you do frequent water changes, and if so how much? Would the water you add to the QT on water changes be from the established tank or a new salt mixture?
ClamKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #25
Cleaning a QT is not much different than the main tank in terms of maintenace. The one extra step to take is make sure all uneaten foods and detritus are syphoned out after each feeding to ensure higher water quality. Water changes are the same as the main tank, do as needed. If the QT has not been cycled or seeded properly then most likely frequent water changes will be needed or if using antibiotics.

When first setting up a QT, the main tanks water can be used but should not be used for water changes. DOC and other possible water quality reducing elements willl be transfered with it. Best to use well aged SW prepared from scratch. If the fish was not first introduced to the QT when purchased but unfortunately transfered after, you also stand a chance of re-infecting/infesting the QT with whatever you are treating in the first place.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com