it looks like my aquarium glass gas ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have little white dots, like large grains of salt, all over my aquarium glass. I used to have a few and now have at least 25-30. I read other posts about white creatures that moved fast, but these don't hardly seem to move at all except that they seem to be multiplying. What are they???

Are they spiral shaped? My first thought is serpulids worms. Small featherdusters. They are harmless and pretty common. They can scrapped off pretty easy.

Same thing I'm noticing. Looks like grains of salt. It can be scraped off but it sure is stuck on the glass real tight. Since I have a 110 XH scraping with something other than a magnet is a real pain. What causes it, what is it, is there any way of getting rid of it other than scraping? :roll:

They definitely don't move in quick bursts. I've never seen them move at all with my naked eye....but they do seem to multiply. If they are feather dusters and I leave them alone will they grow into full on feather dusters and anchor in my crushed coral?

The way I understand is, they have a population explosion, which is what you are seeing, then they sorta die back some. Not entirely but a good bit but. The calcarious shells will stay on the glass til you remove them manually. I'd scrape them off where they are an eyesore and leave them where it doesn't matter. It's up to you though. They stay really small.

I have these too, I was told they are micro starfish and are harmless to the tank,Thats what Ive been told...Ive tried to get a pic but they are to small. Do yours look like they are a little white dots with many legs?

The 'white dot with many legs' are basically the same thing as serpulid worms(cept a different name I think). I have them, and the spiral shaped spots all over my glass. Its usually in concentratred areas and behind powerheads or rocks. I have left all of mine and just scrape/scrub them off when they get plentiful.

i also have white oval dots on my glass they started today...no legs...are these maybe some kind of snail egss...newbe here

I have these as well I have been wondering what they are. Everywhere i look all I hear is that they are not harmful but an eyesore if they multiply alot. I have the small ones that are spiral. I have also noticed that they are growing on my snail's shell as well. Would this be a bad thing? If anyone knows could you please tell me?

Back
Top Bottom