Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Glad to hear. I am using garlic every single feeding session. Plan on continuing.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I always had terrible luck with tangs too. I've lost four over the years to ick each time they took others with them. Since them I have gotten a UV sterilizer. And my tank runs about 81-82 mostly because it's easier to keep it there than to chill it during the summer. I have been afraid to try as last time I almost lost my Majestic Angel that I've had for 7 years to the outbreak.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah it is tough I appreciate the continued support. I still am a little foggy on the UV though. If I get a HOB and you said the pods would have to swim into it to be harmed wouldn't the ich have to swim into it as well to be eradicated thus eliminating the whole purpose of a Uv sterelizer. I am not trying to be smart just trying to get all the info before I Do something else stupid

Doan
Old 04-08-2004, 10:51 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Quote:
If I get a HOB and you said the pods would have to swim into it to be harmed wouldn't the ich have to swim into it as well to be eradicated thus eliminating the whole purpose of a Uv sterelizer. I am not trying to be smart just trying to get all the info before I Do something else stupid
Pods are much larger than ick. Ick is water borne in the first place so it is just floating around. Your pods should be down in the sand and in the rocks where there home is. If one was dumb enough to go for a swim, it would certainly become prey to a fish far before it ever makes it to the sterilizer. Its your choice though. Maybe you should concentrate on the garlic and tempature first. That may be enough. Use the UV as a last resort. Plus you dont have to run it 24/7, maybe just for a week or so when adding new fish.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok that makes a little more sense

Thank you
Doan
Old 04-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

This is from a recent PM I got from Brisco. I thought it was pretty good and wanted to share it and my responce.

Quote:
Hello, I wanted to make a quick inquiry with your regarding Doans recent post on Tangs and ich. I like to think that im picking things up fairly quickly, but at the same time I am still really green. I moved my UV off my reef tank and onto my QT because I was under the impression that UV on a reef was bad. I will admit my ignorance and that I honestly can't remember why I got that impression. My first question is simply: Is this bad information? I have a 120G tank with an 18W UV. Secondly I wanted to inquire about the garlic. I have seen that Ecosystem makes a garlic product, its the only one at my LFS. Do you have a brand you like best? Lastly, and sorry for the lengthy PM, do you soak everything? I.E. Nori, live calurpa clipings, pellet and flake? Thanks for your help, I appreciate you taking the time to read this and respond.
Since you asked some really good questions I am going to include this in the post because I feel people can benifet from it.

Using the UV sterilizer on your qt is the best thing. If your reef is free of ich and you quarinteen properly with a sterilizer you will never have to worry about ich being introduced to your main tank. However from my experience my UV has never hurt my reef. Could it have killed some benificial stuff in the water, yes, did it make a noticible difference in my tank, no. Plus a 18w is far to small for a 120, so it is best you use it on the QT.

As far as the garlic. Seachem is what I use, it is about 1/3 the price of ecosystem and is just as effective. I would search for it on the internet I am sure it is available. I just don't know where because it is available at my LFS. I feed flake, have claupea in my tank and a large variety of frozen foods. I only soak the frozen when I feed, however it will not hurt to soak everything. I figure as long as they get some garlic each day, that will do them some good.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Thanks again for the information its a big help.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Just remember, Ich is very hard to treat successfully and very hard to rid your tank of. It is very easy to prevent. Prevention is the key.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to say I agree with Brisco in that I am a little confused about what way to go with the whole UV thing. I think If I didn't have a mandarine that I would have one. My concern is that I think that it is gonna wipe out my pods or at the very least make it so they don't breed anymore. I can think of a ton of advantages for one espically in the disease control situation. I also think the the killing of bad stuff outweighs the killing of some good stuff MOST of the time. If I was not so paranoid about my mandarine I would not be against them.

Doan
Old 04-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Putting a uv sterilizer on you quarintine would be a great idea then.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com