Just set up a 30 gal QT because of Ich in main...Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last week I lost a Yellow Longnose Butterfly to Ich, but he was only in my main tank for 3 days so I decided to play things by ear before removing all my fish. Well now my Powder Blue Tang has Ich spots on him today. So this morning I took off from work, drove to my LFS and picked up a 30 gal tank and stand combo to set up a QT. So I have filled the tank with a mixture of water from my main and ro/di saltwater that I made. I added the recommended dose of cupramine to the tank and am waiting for the temperature to rise to a suitable level to add my fish.

I purchased a penguin 200 HOB filter that flows at 200 gph. I know I am not supposed to use the carbon filter, but I have not attached the bio-wheel either and am wondering if I should?

My current tank inhabitants in my main are (1) O. Clown, (1) Banggai Cardinal, (1) PBT, and (1) Coral Baeuty. I am hoping that QTing these fish in a 30 gal tank is fine, correct?

I am also worried about the tank cycling since a lot of the water in it is fresh sw. Do you think the tank will experience a cycle? If it will can I combat the ammonia with water changes or will water changes dilute the cupramine too much? I added 3 ml of cupramine to my tank as indicated and see that I should redose in 48 hours, is this a good schedule to follow or have you dosed differently with success? Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Just set up a 30 gal QT because of Ich in main...Please

born2chill said:
I purchased a penguin 200 HOB filter that flows at 200 gph. I know I am not supposed to use the carbon filter, but I have not attached the bio-wheel either and am wondering if I should?
Do not use any carbon products, it will remove the Cupramine. Attach the biowheel most definately. If you have a HOB or canister on the main, transfer that media (no carbon) to the new HOB in the QT. That should help kick start the bacterial process. Cupramine will not destroy bacteria although it will slow down it's growth for a time.

My current tank inhabitants in my main are (1) O. Clown, (1) Banggai Cardinal, (1) PBT, and (1) Coral Baeuty. I am hoping that QTing these fish in a 30 gal tank is fine, correct?
It might be a little cramped but it should work. Just be sure you use plenty of PVC pipe and elbow pieces for them to hide in.

I am also worried about the tank cycling since a lot of the water in it is fresh sw. Do you think the tank will experience a cycle?
Most likely to some degree yes. Water unto itself does not contain any usable bacteria in this regard, only hard surface materials will help propogate nitrogenous bacteria.

If it will can I combat the ammonia with water changes or will water changes dilute the cupramine too much?
Medicate the new SW before doing the water change. It eliminates the guess work and helps maintain the proper treatment level.

I added 3 ml of cupramine to my tank as indicated and see that I should redose in 48 hours, is this a good schedule to follow or have you dosed differently with success? Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
It's actually best to have the fish in the QT before the first dose but it should be fine in any event. Wait on the second dose until get the fish are in there. Even though following the directions, you still need to test the copper level to be sure of accuracey. It should be tested every day of the treatment (14-21 days).

Cheers
Steve

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will be attaching the bio-wheel in a few minutes. I hope my PBT can pull through since I hear copper treatments can be rough on tangs. Here's to hoping for the best.

One reason Cupramine is best recommended when copper is needed. It's well tolerated by sensitive fish. It should be just fine. Monitor your levels after the second dose to be sure it's maintained at 0.5 mg/l

Cheers
Steve

I hope my PBT can pull through since I hear copper treatments can be rough on tangs. Here's to hoping for the best.
I used it on my Yellow tang without any issues, its a great med IMO.
Sounds like you have a good plan here.

Have plenty of change water ready each day to combat the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom