Just Starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy all...

I'm just getting into the saltwater hobby. I just bought a 55 gallon tank and I've been reading everything non stop on here for the last week. I plan on getting 40# of live rock for the tank and cycling with that to begin with. I'm hoping that anything attached to the rock survives the cycle.

This is where the question comes in. Currently I have the standard light hoods that came with the tank. How long will this be sufficient if some of the hitchhikers survive? What should i upgrade with if i need to?

Thanks in advance...

~V

Really depends what kind of hitchikers you get. The most common type of hitchikers are inverts like hermits and snails, etc. Those obviously dont need light at all. Other types would be various macro algae. The 40W bulb will proably be enough light to keep the alage alive but it wont thrive in it. The

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I plan on getting 40# of live rock for the tank and cycling with that to begin with. I'm hoping that anything attached to the rock survives the cycle.

To increase the chances of survival, follow the suggestions in this article, "Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!".

This is where the question comes in. Currently I have the standard light hoods that came with the tank. How long will this be sufficient if some of the hitchhikers survive? What should i upgrade with if i need to?

If your only planning on a FOWLR tank then you should be fine with 2-3WPG, maybe look into 110W PC light fixture.

I've looked around on ebay, but besides there, where do people tend to shop for lighting supplies?

I have a feeling that i'll get hooked on this and adventually have to upgrade in order to advance my marine life. So I plan on only doing one update in the lighting catagory.

Luckily I can supplement my income with my woodworking skills :D

Jim

DRSfostersmith.com
Aquariumlight.com
marineandreef.com
marinedepot.com
ereeftank.com
foryourfish.com

Back
Top Bottom