Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Juvenile Emperor

I bought a juvenile emperor 4 days ago, he has been eating fine and swimming around with no problems.

Last night I noticed he was hanging at the top of the tank for awhile.
This morning when I turned lights on I noticed him wedged flat between a rock..I thought he was stuck so I lifted the rock and he swam out, shortly after he went back there again, I was worried so I tried to pull him out with my fingers and did, for the past 2 hours he has just been sitting there looking at the rock, seems to be breathing heavily with mouth slightly opened, I fed my fish and he didn't eat, as he has just stayed at that rock..could he be sick?

Water parameters are amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 and PH 8.2+

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3943608936.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	158259

Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, I am not an expert but I do know that they need a lot of deep caves and places to hide to feel secure. Could be still getting used to the new environment too. How big is it? Has it eaten at all since you added? How did you acclimate? I don't mean to be rude but do you know how big these guys get? I would say he won't be happy in small quarters, live aquaria suggests 220g. Who are his tank mates? Beautiful fish tho...

Old 03-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Hmm, I am not an expert but I do know that they need a lot of deep caves and places to hide to feel secure. Could be still getting used to the new environment too. How big is it? Has it eaten at all since you added? How did you acclimate? I don't mean to be rude but do you know how big these guys get? I would say he won't be happy in small quarters, live aquaria suggests 220g. Who are his tank mates? Beautiful fish tho...
He is small only around 4cm. Yep he was eating plenty the past 3 days just not today. My LFS is only 5 mins away so I bought him back and left the bag in the aquarium for around an hour then let him in. Currently in the tank with 2 clown oscellaris, mandarin, anemone and coral banded shrimp.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh ok, did you match water (salinity)Or just temp? I bought a fish from my LFS once and just out interest I tested their water. The salinity was really low compared to my tank, like 0.21 compared to my 0.26 I have heard stores keep their salinity lower to keep disease at bay. Could be that?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Oh ok, did you match water (salinity)Or just temp? I bought a fish from my LFS once and just out interest I tested their water. The salinity was really low compared to my tank, like 0.21 compared to my 0.26 I have heard stores keep their salinity lower to keep disease at bay. Could be that?
Just temp, I suppose if that's the issue there wouldn't be much I can do now? Would that kill him after he seemed to be going fine for days?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could, drip acclimation is the best method for introducing new livestock. What's your salinity at? Some fish and inverts cannot tolerate swings in salinity. Does it have a nice cave to hide in? If not it may be stressed too, that's very important...
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #7

Quote:
It could, drip acclimation is the best method for introducing new livestock. What's your salinity at? Some fish and inverts cannot tolerate swings in salinity. Does it have a nice cave to hide in? If not it may be stressed too, that's very important...
Salinity is 0.22 do you think I should raise that? Yes there is a few places to hide in the tank
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep mine at 1.026 because I have a reef. I think you are fine where you are if its fish only. It's more important that the salinity doesn't fluctuate so if you are planning on raising it you must do it very slowly, over the course of at least a week, longer if you can. May I ask where you are based? Most folks are from the US on here and are usually sleeping at this time
Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #9

Quote:
I keep mine at 1.026 because I have a reef. I think you are fine where you are if its fish only. It's more important that the salinity doesn't fluctuate so if you are planning on raising it you must do it very slowly, over the course of at least a week, longer if you can. May I ask where you are based? Most folks are from the US on here and are usually sleeping at this time
Right..I might start to raise it slightly then over the next 2 weeks or so, I want to eventually get corals but won't start that for a few more weeks. I'm from Australia. I gathered that, there isn't too people responding at this time haha.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah cool. Where abouts in oz? I am in Melbourne. How long has the tank been running? What kind of lighting do you have? I ran my 200L (4ft ) tank for about a year before adding corals.
Angels are not really reef safe so be cautious when buying corals, could end up being an expensive meal for your fish!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com