Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Kenay Tree

I have a small purple kenay tree that I got at around 1 inch about 2 or 3 months ago. it has not grown at all and I have tried every thing I can think of and looked on the internet for similer problems. it looks perfecly healthy ans it is in a 95 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sub. 2 power heads that have been moved in every posible spot and tried on every setting. its in with other corals but no neer it and the fish dont realy mess with it. any advice? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474212774.179421.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	289367

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Can you tell us more about the system, like the lighting and what not that supports it along with current parameters?
Though it doesn't look like it is in bad shape in general, it does look slightly sluggish so it could be happier. Soft corals do adjust to new systems like this along with times when they shed their outer layer from time to time, but this shouldn't take months upon end. I would assume that it simply does not like where it is at this time. I would try another spot in the sandbed and see if it perks up in a few days...depending on what else you can tell us about your setup that could help us point you in the right direction.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Can you tell us more about the system, like the lighting and what not that supports it along with current parameters?
Though it doesn't look like it is in bad shape in general, it does look slightly sluggish so it could be happier. Soft corals do adjust to new systems like this along with times when they shed their outer layer from time to time, but this shouldn't take months upon end. I would assume that it simply does not like where it is at this time. I would try another spot in the sandbed and see if it perks up in a few days...depending on what else you can tell us about your setup that could help us point you in the right direction.

I did a water change yesterday and my PH is a little over 8 Ammonia 0 Nitrites at 0 salinity 1.022 but my Nitrate is at 30

I have a sump with a Bubble-magus curve 5 skimmer... not that the name realy tells you any thing.

I have two wave makers one slightly bigger one in the top back right corner and one smaller one in the bottom front left corner. they are both china made and are on the lowest setting.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474221061.264265.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	289374

for lighting I have a Current Ramp Timer pro and a second larger brighter light. I know nothing about either of themClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474221163.757495.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	289375

Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd put it on the rocks. I've noticed with soft corals they really don't grow well on the sand.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I'd put it on the rocks. I've noticed with soft corals they really don't grow well on the sand.

I had it on diforent rocks up until today i moved it down becuse I thought it was getting too much water flow. should I put it back and adjust my powerheads around it? also about an hour ago I cliped a branch and stuck it in a rock. probebly was a bad idea but I took a chance.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah, I'd say that was a bad idea. Kenya trees are as close to a soft coral weed as you'll find. Once it is in a place where it is happy, it'll take off. After some time, it'll stop dropping tiny kenya trees that will then also take off. I wouldn't put it anywhere but the sandbed where that can be managed.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Yeah, I'd say that was a bad idea. Kenya trees are as close to a soft coral weed as you'll find. Once it is in a place where it is happy, it'll take off. After some time, it'll stop dropping tiny kenya trees that will then also take off. I wouldn't put it anywhere but the sandbed where that can be managed.

Seems healthy now but the base of it seems thin to me. could there be worm eating it or am I just paranoid?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474317623.413069.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	289398

Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Most likely paranoid.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com