Kenya tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steaphan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've a kenya tree for about 6 months the last 3 days it's been limp. Also it looks like it is tearing near its joint to the rock. Plus it looks like its smoking lol
The temp in my condo hit 38℃ that's about 96℉ did it die??? You can see the tearing a little in the pic and the foggy smoke just above the "trunk"!

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1435682572471.jpg
    1435682572471.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 106
Thats a Sinularia (sp) Finger Leather. Not a Kenya Tree
If you see smoke from the coral, that mean that part is dieing off. He's mad at something, got your water params??
You could cut him off that rock or move the whole rock, see if you can perk him up. You change something recently in the tank that might have made him angry?

Chemicals levels seem same as always. Only change was super high temps.

Also. Sorry for miss identification, it was sold to me as Kenya tree. :(
Thank you for the clarification.
At what point would I pronounce it dead and remove it?
Can this guy fall off the rock and remain alive or would him falling off be evidence of death?

Now there looks to be stuff falling out of it. :(

Yea, he's doing whats called disintegrating. Thats not good. You could cut a portion that still looks to be in good shape, off the original colony, and place it somewhere else in the tank.
You might also want to start putting carbon into a filter to remove the softy toxins being released.

Softies are pretty easy to frag. Ya just cut em, using clean cuts, you can remove him from the tank, place him in a little pan of water or plate or something. Get a utility knife, and cut the portion that still intact on the Coral, then place it back into the tank. You can use a rubber band to hold him in place on a rock, until he attaches himself there.

You can't let the tank reach 96 degrees. You'll never be successful if you let this happen.

Maybe I just read it wrong. Condo is 96. Whats the temp of your tank?? Good question. Do you have fans blowing across the water surface to cool it down?

Also stating that your params are same as always isn't helping. The could be off by a lot what are your numbers cal mag alk nitrate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom