Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Kick-Ich?

Hi all..

Well after much trouble shooting.. I've finally decided my tank has Ich. Now I'm using Kick-Ich (and yes.. I know I should have a quarantine tank... .. but it's cycling right now) The instructions say nothing about removing carbon from filtration.. does anyone know if I should be? And does anyone have experience with this product?

Old 01-12-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to hear you have Ich, Yes remove your carbon and any other absorbent material. This is stated about half way down in the Directions on the bottle. also follow the directions. I do use this product with varying results. To be honest I do get better results if caught very early by using
Kent Marine, Garlic Xtreme. This is not a medicine but if you read about the use of using Garlic for Ich this is one of the up and coming remedies.
I just had Ich on my Clowns and saw it early and dosed the tank daily for a week and within three days the clowns where free of ICH. Good Luck

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
len

false medication

sorry to say but i really disagree with the above medication....for example kick-ich! it is costly and secondly it does not really help! it a waste of time ! even though it says it is coral safe but it do kills few of my corals . i did remove the carbon but with no results......sad to say about garlic , i use few garlic product like xtream and elixir the more expensive one but nothing works even after a month of these treatment ........to be frank i have terrible experience with ich and had already kills many of my precious fish like ( blueangel, majestic angel, whimple fish, blue tangs , gramma, rock beauty and many more! i may be sounds frustated but trust me. "Fish With WhiteSpots Or Ich Will Die" that is the lesson learn.

maybe the UV sterilizer is the last of all choice.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
First off, garlic is not so much a treatment as it is a preventative.

I have had many fish that broke with ich right after I brought them home from the store. They all lived through the disease by raising the temp of the water and medicating.

Nothing has gotten ich since I started using the garlic. Also, I have never used a quarantine tank.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Len,

Didnt you also have issues with controling your levels of ammonia and nitrite? The best way of keeping ich out of your tank is to have the best quality water conditions you can.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:55 PM   #6

Good water quality and temp above 80* = 95% no ICH. I say NO to additives.

It is not to say it will never happen, just less likely.

JMHO
Old 02-11-2003, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do not have a problem with your disagreeing with my post, I do not claim to be an expert. I only post from my research and or experince.That is the nice thing about this site many different ways and means.

But others posted before I read your reply and I have to agree with them if you are getting that many bouts of Ich in your tank It is time to check everything out. Something is very wrong.
Maybe if you could post your tank and its levels and where you have it located, We would be more then happy to help. No one wants to see this sickness in a tank they are for our enjoyment and not to create stress.

Again my post was from things that have worked for me, They may not work for others. We can only try to help each other.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:16 AM   #8
len

ph-8.2
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
calcium - 400mg/l
nitrate - 40mg/l

what wrong with that? nitrate?
i do believe that theres no such thing as 0 nitrate in a fish aquarium
unless manmade fish live in it.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
i do believe that theres no such thing as 0 nitrate in a fish aquarium
I can barely detect nitrate in my tank. It is always less than 5 ppm, usually undetectable. You may need more LR or less bio load.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank is virtually nitrate free as well... never above 10 ppm and usually below 5 ppm. One additional thing I would recommend is cleaner shrimp. I had ich problems as well and lost a flame angle to it. I bought a coral beauty as a replacement and a couple of cleaner shrimp about a week later. My clowns were getting ich as well prior to getting the shrimp and now all fish come bye the cleaning station daily... if not more often. No ich any more. The interaction of the shrimp and fish is very cool to watch also.... they clean the body, gills... and inside the mouth.

Tags
ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com