Kick-Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bassoonguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all..

Well after much trouble shooting.. I've finally decided my tank has Ich. Now I'm using Kick-Ich (and yes.. I know I should have a quarantine tank... .. but it's cycling right now) The instructions say nothing about removing carbon from filtration.. does anyone know if I should be? And does anyone have experience with this product?

Sorry to hear you have Ich, Yes remove your carbon and any other absorbent material. This is stated about half way down in the Directions on the bottle. also follow the directions. I do use this product with varying results. To be honest I do get better results if caught very early by using
Kent Marine, Garlic Xtreme. This is not a medicine but if you read about the use of using Garlic for Ich this is one of the up and coming remedies.
I just had Ich on my Clowns and saw it early and dosed the tank daily for a week and within three days the clowns where free of ICH. Good Luck

false medication

sorry to say but i really disagree with the above medication....for example kick-ich! it is costly and secondly it does not really help! it a waste of time ! even though it says it is coral safe but it do kills few of my corals . i did remove the carbon but with no results......sad to say about garlic , i use few garlic product like xtream and elixir the more expensive one but nothing works even after a month of these treatment ........to be frank i have terrible experience with ich and had already kills many of my precious fish like ( blueangel, majestic angel, whimple fish, blue tangs , gramma, rock beauty and many more! i may be sounds frustated but trust me. "Fish With WhiteSpots Or Ich Will Die" that is the lesson learn.

maybe the UV sterilizer is the last of all choice.

First off, garlic is not so much a treatment as it is a preventative.

I have had many fish that broke with ich right after I brought them home from the store. They all lived through the disease by raising the temp of the water and medicating.

Nothing has gotten ich since I started using the garlic. Also, I have never used a quarantine tank.

Len,

Didnt you also have issues with controling your levels of ammonia and nitrite? The best way of keeping ich out of your tank is to have the best quality water conditions you can.

Good water quality and temp above 80* = 95% no ICH. I say NO to additives.

It is not to say it will never happen, just less likely.

JMHO

I do not have a problem with your disagreeing with my post, I do not claim to be an expert. I only post from my research and or experince.That is the nice thing about this site many different ways and means.

But others posted before I read your reply and I have to agree with them if you are getting that many bouts of Ich in your tank It is time to check everything out. Something is very wrong.
Maybe if you could post your tank and its levels and where you have it located, We would be more then happy to help. No one wants to see this sickness in a tank they are for our enjoyment and not to create stress.

Again my post was from things that have worked for me, They may not work for others. We can only try to help each other.

ph-8.2
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
calcium - 400mg/l
nitrate - 40mg/l

what wrong with that? nitrate?
i do believe that theres no such thing as 0 nitrate in a fish aquarium
unless manmade fish live in it.

My tank is virtually nitrate free as well... never above 10 ppm and usually below 5 ppm. One additional thing I would recommend is cleaner shrimp. I had ich problems as well and lost a flame angle to it. I bought a coral beauty as a replacement and a couple of cleaner shrimp about a week later. My clowns were getting ich as well prior to getting the shrimp and now all fish come bye the cleaning station daily... if not more often. No ich any more. The interaction of the shrimp and fish is very cool to watch also.... they clean the body, gills... and inside the mouth.

we are talking about 0 nitrate and not 5 or 10ppm cause there are still nitrate.
anyway i have 3 cool cleanin shrimp in my tank

I just tested mine.

I have about 5ppm in the 80 and less than .02 in the 20. That seems to be consistant with the livestock % as I have more life per gal in the 80 than the 20.

I like cleaners. You might even get them to spawn and release eggs.

Back
Top Bottom