Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
Kick Ich?

My tomato clown just got ich yesterday , so I ran to the store and they had an item called Kick Ich which is said to cure ich with out hurting corals,inverts,etc so has anyone used this? plus i've been reading that garlic helps fishes with ich ? TIA

Old 04-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
You'll get dif. opinions on that product but the majority will say it won't work. My dad's friend said it worked in his tank. Meanwhile, lots of others said they're tried it before and it didn't work. Im not really sure if it works or not as im a beginner also but the best way to treat ich is to QT the infected fishes then treat them with hypo or copper. Yes it sounds like alot of work setting up another tank just to treat diseases but that'll be the majority of the advices u'll get. Another way to treat ich, in which u won't have to take the fishes out, set up a new tank and other tidious stuff, is to combine lots of other weaker methods together but it's not 100% guaranteed that it's gonna work.

3 weaker methods that should use together:

1. Garlic soak fish food
2. Cleaner shrimp
3. Kick ich

Im sure there are more ways to combine with these 3 methods but those are the only 3 i could think of right now. Remember tho, the best way is still to QT the fishes and treat them with hypo or copper.

HTH

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I wouldnt treat my reef with anything but PWCS, carbon, nitrate removers, or fiji gold calcium supplement.

I would try the garlic soak fish food and keep the water quality high before trying to remove a fish and setting up a QT and all of that IMO.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You can also try a freshwater dip.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

PWC and garlic will help a help fight off an infection or parasite. It is not a cure. The next time water parameters are off a little or a fish gets stressed you will have another Ich outbreak.

FW dips are also not a cure. They actually stress the fish more than it already is. The parasites are embedded too deep for all of them to be removed by a FW dip. Some may drop off but not all.

Treatment in a QT for 6-8 weeks of ALL fish, while leaving the main tank without any fish is the only cure. The Ich parasite has a lifespan of about 4 weeks. The main tank could remain infected unless all fish are removed for a period of at least 4 weeks. Six weeks is better.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
I added kick ich and the clown looks better and comes out instead of hiding so hopefully this is a good sign

Tags
ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com