Kick-Ich or Malachite Green - good for Crypt (w/corals)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigShot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 180 gallon tank... recently, my Blue Tang (Hippo/Regal) got Ich.
The other fish seem to be OK, but a yellow tang already has 2 dots...
I have no other tank to take the fish into... I have live rock, cleaner shrimp, few 'hardy corals, crabs and snails in the tank.
I've used the pepper based meds before (from Kent Marine and some other brand, I can't remember) but they never worked..
Putting copper in the tank is out of the question... cleaner shrimps just don't do it for the tang...
I looked at two products: Kick-Ich and Malachite Green by Aquarium pharmaceuticals.
Both of them say that they aare reef safe.
Two questions (for those who have used them):
- Are they REALLY reef (coral, shrimp, snail, crab, live rock) safe?
- Are they effective?

Huge thanks,
luke

I would not use anything like that.. The only thing that I have had success with is Chem-Marins Stop Parasite but I would not recommend using it nor would I use it again... Go to your LFS get yourself a cheap 10gal tank and a small strip light cheap heater and filter.. should be no more than $30.00 Search this site for hyposalinity and treat that way or treat with Copper.. There is a great Article in the articles section of setting up a QT tank.. Thru continued use of the QT tank you should and would never have to treat the main tank as all fish added to the display tank would be completly free from parasites...
- Are they REALLY reef (coral, shrimp, snail, crab, live rock) safe?
IMO contact the company Let them know what you have in your tank.. As them if it is truely "Reef SAfe" and If they guarntee in writting the livestock in your tank if they die due to the meds... I feel that If a company can do this then It would truely be Reef Safe.. If the company cannot then I would not trust using it... Thats my opinion... JMO

HTH,
James

I used kick ich and it did not work for me. It did not kill any of my inverts or coral, but was not effective in killing ich. I lost all my 11 fish. I used it for the 15 days that it says (full term) and nothing. I luckly was in the process of setting up a 210 gallon tank, used this as my QT and tried the copper aproach but was to late. The ich was to far along. They all died a couple of days later in the 210. :cry: I do not reccomend Kick-Ich at all. As I was told, go get a big 40-50gal rubbermaid, a heater, and an air pump or power head for "disturbing" the surface for good gas exchange or a hang on cheap filter from Wal-Mart and do the hypo or copper. I think if the reef safe products won't kill very delicate corals and inverts, how is it going to kill a parasite?

I used Kick Ick in my 75 gallon for the full treatment and it did nothing.....except raise my nitrates to over 100! I ended up breaking my reef down and treating the fish with Cupramine in a hospital tank. Don't waste your money.......

Back
Top Bottom