Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Very cute ad nearly irresistable. But if you're planning to keep corals he's a HUGE mistake. He might be the very unusual exception to the rule, but cowfish eat corals, clams, crabs etc... they jump out of the tank pretty well, and if upset enough they will exude the above mentioned toxin and Kill Everyone in the tank, including himself. There's no way to clean up a cowfish toxin spill... but it is rare that they do this.

The worst part is LR filtration isn't enough for these guys. Their waste is high in ammonia and they tend to produce a lot of waste for their size. frankly, cute as they may be they'e a headache as well.

I hope he works out for you.

Porksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yup I will be keepin soft corals, and I already have crabs... a couple of them seem to have mysteriously disappeared?

I might just trade him in for a more reef friendly fish at LFS.

snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a cowfish in my tank for almost a year.He was the coolest thing on wheels lol.Everybody that came over just flipped out on him.Unfortunatley my novice knowledge at the time of how saltwater aquariums worked proved to be a tough lesson.55 gal tank and to many fish in it.I think i had to big of a bio load on my filter.I had problems keeping my ph level up.The cowfish got sick and died.About 2 days later everything in the tank was dead too except for a watchman golby.Not sure how he made it but i still got him to this day.I would love to get another cow and with what i know now i wouldnt be afraid to try it again.Like was said earlier they do produce a lot of waste so make sure you dont have to many fish in the tank with him.They are a great fish to watch.I say if he isnt doing any damage KEEP HIM

hawksview is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com