Killer Electric Blue Leg Hermit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinaStarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an electric Blue Leg Hermit in my 6g nano... He's already killed & eaten 2 margarita snails, and I had to stop him from trying to eat my 2 nassarius'. Any Ideas why he is making meals out of my snails? Does he want a new shell (the snails shells are way too small for him) or maybe that they're eating all his food?

it is natural for crabs to eat snails. You should have extra shells,just a little larger, in the tank for it to move to when the need arises.

I agree with the extra shells. Hermits will, gennerally eat what they can forage/kill.

I bought some margerita snails awhile back and now all the shells have hermits in them.

Thanks, then I guess theres no way of stopping my serial killer hermit... If he wasn't so damn pretty I would sell him back to the lfs, so it looks like Im just gonna keep him and keep his foraging habit happy with a steady diet of snails.

Do take into consideration that the size of your tank also gives any and all predators the likelihood of an easy meal 100% of the time. You can try keeping the lil devil hermit happy with fleshy meals of the already prepared kind in hopes of limiting the snail massacres.

Some think they are one of the more agressive hermits. I have a tendency to agree. Then again, I've had some seemingly mild ones too. The coloration is worth the risk/issues they may have with snails or other hermits. Heck, I just get some more.

Back
Top Bottom