Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Killing a Fish...

Okay...my buddy has a goldfish that is on the verge of death...we think it has a problem with its air sac because it cannot maintain bouyancy. It's foundering around, has torn fins, etc.

My buddy wants to put the fish out of its misery...how can he do so without making the fish suffer? (eg. leaving it out of water, flushing it down the toilet, etc.)

Old 01-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

flushing is not humane for anything that is still alive. You're taking something from a warm environment and throwing it into a usualy freezing cold and often chemicaly laden bowl. Then flush the poor thing into a vat of sewege where everything on its body it burned from the ammonia and god knows what else. It won't last long, but those last few moments would be nothing but agony.

Has your friend done anything to try and treat the fish? checked the water? changed the water? tried medications? I can't think of a humane way I "like". A beheading seems the quickest and least torturous for the fish but pretty grusome.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
When I'm sure that one is not going to make it, I boil a pot of water. It's over in about a quarter of a second.

Flushing is so wrong. The fish can live for hours or days that way.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

How about sending the fish to Fishy Heaven by way of hypothermia. Place him in a bowl of water and put it in the freezer where he will shortly fall asleep and die.
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I would imagine it takes a little longer than that, at least a few seconds. And thats an aweful few seconds
Old 01-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Nah, if the water is boiling, the fish will twitch for literally about 250 milliseconds then immediately go stiff and turn white from cooking.

I can't think of anything quicker.

I start the water boiling, then go net the fish, leaving the net inside of the tank to minimize stress. The water will be at full boil by now. I then carry the boiling water to the tank, pull the net out and quickly dump it into the boiling water.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Uhhhh guys this is yucky with beheadings and boilings and all. Get some water Ice Ice Ice cold put it in a big bowl. Insert fish .. the cold water will shut down his life process and he will fall asleep and die...Then flush him..

Doan
Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Uhhhh guys this is yucky with beheadings and boilings and all. Get some water Ice Ice Ice cold put it in a big bowl. Insert fish .. the cold water will shut down his life process and he will fall asleep and die...Then flush him..
I agree with this method I also believe that beheading the fish (If you can do it without cutting your finger off) is probably the quickest.

I think that before you do this there should be no hope for the fish, if not, then you are treating them as disposable pets.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would go with the cold water also....beheading isn't as easy as it sounds...the little guy will be flopping all over the place and it can be hard to get a good cut....My friend tried this method a little while back and it wasn't the easiest way to do it.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I agree with this method I also believe that beheading the fish (If you can do it without cutting your finger off) is probably the quickest.
I can't speak for fish, but a severed human head can stay alive and conscious for several seconds. A human can also survive for several minutes in freezing water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com