Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch
Yeah I just finished digging out my fox face scopas and black cap basslet to medicate them. Here's a question for ya.my tank has ich. But none of the other fish appear to be infected other then the ones stated.will I be able to reintroduce the 3 infected ones when they Re cured having left the other fish in the display tank.
That's pointless. All the fish in that tank have ich... Whether they act like it or not. Treat the whole tank.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok what if I treat the heavily infected fish in a different tank with copper and treat the rest of the ones that look good in the main tank with the kordons reef safe ich attack.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

In any large scale tank, such as in a public aquarium, the sick fish would be isolated and the main tank given a safe preventive dose, but if there was coral present, the preventive dose would probably not be used, but water quality tested carefully. I would try not to treat fish that were not showing signs of illness. You can also soak their food in some nutrients and vitamins, but somebody that knows the proper nutrients to build up a slime coat needs to chime in.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch
Ok what if I treat the heavily infected fish in a different tank with copper and treat the rest of the ones that look good in the main tank with the kordons reef safe ich attack.
That could work. The thing with ich is that it's a parasite. It buries in the substrate and sits there. When the fish swim by, wella! Fish gets ich. Once the ich spores have had their fill, they are either rubbed off by the fish flashing against something, or they drop off and digest all that food and reproduce. Then the cycle starts over, and over, and over. That's why you treat the whole tank. Cause it's almost impossible for just one fish to get it.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am just wondering if you ever get rid of it. It is very hardy when in the spore form and unless you maintained a high level medication for long periods, I suggest it may persist. While it certainly can't hurt to lower the population of active parasites, giving the fish a break. The immune system of the fish itself is what matters, weak fish, weak immune system and parasites take them out. Just like us when we get old and our slime coat gets thin...
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #16

Well you really are supposed to treat for up to 5 weeks, as that's how long the ich cycle takes. I read a good article on it... I'll see if I can find it.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best way to rid a tank of ich is to have it fishless for 5-8 weeks... and treat the fish in the QT with copper.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #18

Cause, Treatment, and Prevention of Ich in Freshwater Fish this is the link I used. Very good explanation.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Freshwater ich and saltwater ich are two totally different beasts. Treatments and info for one do not apply to the other. Here's a good myth/fact sheet on ich:

Marine ICK - everything you need to know

If ich is present in a tank, the most logical thing to assume is that they all have it. Some may show obvious signs, some may not - but they all harbor the parasite. If you don't treat all the fish, then ones that harbor it will reinfect the weaker ones when they are reintroduced. Treating the ones that don't have any signs with the "reef-safe" meds is just as effective as leaving them in there with no treatment. Reef-safe meds can't kill the ich. Read their literature carefully... none of them claim that they will kill the ich. They normally say that their treatment will "control" the ich.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hmm I hope the ich attack works, I'm currently using the same product, been for four days and I don't see ich on my fish now. I'm going to keep using it for a week or until the bottle is gone, but hearing all this I really have my fingers crossed

Tags
attack, ich, ich attack, kordon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com