Kordons ich attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. I got a bottle of kordons ich attack and was wondering if anyone has used this product. It claims that it is reef safe, but I am scepticle. I wanted Anyones imput that has used this product

I just used Kordons ich attack about a week ago and all my corals, fish, and clam did well with it. I used it 2 times a day like it said and the only time the coral would retract was when I put it in. A few hours after, all coral was out like it was before I put Kordons ich attack in. It worked for me in about a week, but I put it in the first sign of ich on my yellow tang. I have not seen any signs of ich after I stopped using it, so far so good. Hope this helps.

I was kinda crossing my fingers. That's disappointing. Waste of money that was

As I have said before, I see ICH as a symptom of poor tank conditions rather than a disease breakout. I may be wrong, but a healthy fish can live with live ICH spores without exhibiting any disease. Just as our immune system protects us from the constant barrage of virus's and bacteria, the fishes slime coat does the same thing.

It doesn't have to be poor tank conditions for a fish to become stressed.

Yeah I just finished digging out my fox face scopas and black cap basslet to medicate them. Here's a question for ya.my tank has ich. But none of the other fish appear to be infected other then the ones stated.will I be able to reintroduce the 3 infected ones when they Re cured having left the other fish in the display tank.

Sqasnatch said:
Yeah I just finished digging out my fox face scopas and black cap basslet to medicate them. Here's a question for ya.my tank has ich. But none of the other fish appear to be infected other then the ones stated.will I be able to reintroduce the 3 infected ones when they Re cured having left the other fish in the display tank.

That's pointless. All the fish in that tank have ich... Whether they act like it or not. Treat the whole tank.

Ok what if I treat the heavily infected fish in a different tank with copper and treat the rest of the ones that look good in the main tank with the kordons reef safe ich attack.

In any large scale tank, such as in a public aquarium, the sick fish would be isolated and the main tank given a safe preventive dose, but if there was coral present, the preventive dose would probably not be used, but water quality tested carefully. I would try not to treat fish that were not showing signs of illness. You can also soak their food in some nutrients and vitamins, but somebody that knows the proper nutrients to build up a slime coat needs to chime in.

Sqasnatch said:
Ok what if I treat the heavily infected fish in a different tank with copper and treat the rest of the ones that look good in the main tank with the kordons reef safe ich attack.

That could work. The thing with ich is that it's a parasite. It buries in the substrate and sits there. When the fish swim by, wella! Fish gets ich. Once the ich spores have had their fill, they are either rubbed off by the fish flashing against something, or they drop off and digest all that food and reproduce. Then the cycle starts over, and over, and over. That's why you treat the whole tank. Cause it's almost impossible for just one fish to get it.

I am just wondering if you ever get rid of it. It is very hardy when in the spore form and unless you maintained a high level medication for long periods, I suggest it may persist. While it certainly can't hurt to lower the population of active parasites, giving the fish a break. The immune system of the fish itself is what matters, weak fish, weak immune system and parasites take them out. Just like us when we get old and our slime coat gets thin...

Well you really are supposed to treat for up to 5 weeks, as that's how long the ich cycle takes. I read a good article on it... I'll see if I can find it.

The best way to rid a tank of ich is to have it fishless for 5-8 weeks... and treat the fish in the QT with copper.

Freshwater ich and saltwater ich are two totally different beasts. Treatments and info for one do not apply to the other. Here's a good myth/fact sheet on ich:

Marine ICK - everything you need to know

If ich is present in a tank, the most logical thing to assume is that they all have it. Some may show obvious signs, some may not - but they all harbor the parasite. If you don't treat all the fish, then ones that harbor it will reinfect the weaker ones when they are reintroduced. Treating the ones that don't have any signs with the "reef-safe" meds is just as effective as leaving them in there with no treatment. Reef-safe meds can't kill the ich. Read their literature carefully... none of them claim that they will kill the ich. They normally say that their treatment will "control" the ich.

Hmm I hope the ich attack works, I'm currently using the same product, been for four days and I don't see ich on my fish now. I'm going to keep using it for a week or until the bottle is gone, but hearing all this I really have my fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom