Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Please slow down and fire that fish store. The are obviously in it for the buck and could care less if you succeed.
Use the above advise, return the fish for a refund(not credit) and do some reading. You will be better armed for success.
Also, ask us a lot of questions, we are happy to help.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Please slow down and fire that fish store. The are obviously in it for the buck and could care less if you succeed.
Something I find ironic, considering that they lose more customers that way, and the best advertisment is word of mouth.

But yes, more to the point, I agree with both, get rid of the fish store, and be more patient in the future.

Patience seems to be the most important thing in this hobby. If you wait two more days you can get a better deal.. a week and a half you might find a new LFS with better stock.. do one more hour of research and you might discover a potential problem before it happens to you..

Corty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
The reason your clown hasn't died yet is probably due to the fact that's it's a lot hardier than the other fish you had in there.

Take any fish that are still alive back to your LFS NOW while they're still hanging on. At any rate, they won't make it through the cycle. Take them back while they're still alive, it's not fair on the fish.

Then, when there are no fish in your tank (or any other inverts) start the cycle by placing a dead, raw shrimp in there. Then monitor ammonia and nitrite to find out when the cycle has finished.

The Robert Fenner book is fantastic. Read it inside and out. Spend the next few weeks (before you put any life in your tank) researching and browsing forums (like this one!) on the internet. Ask lots of questions, and be patient.

You learn early on that nothing can be rushed at all in this hobby. While your tank is cycling (and ideally for a good few weeks after) learn as much as you can. Then, start with one or two easy, hardy fish (like the clowns). See how they go for a couple of months, then SLOWLY build up your tank from there.

But, for now, take the remaining fish back!
MarkW19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to hear about your fish. I would still get the clown out of the water ASAP. The only reason it is still alive is because it was the most hardy of the fish you put in there. I have a feeling your water tested okay at Petco becuase you are at the begining of the cycle. Where to go from here? Take the back, see about getting some LR in yur tank. It will really help the tank cycle properly and tends to speed things up a bit. Start with whatever you can. Ideally, you want a couple hundred pounds of LR to provide enough bio-filtration. However, stickershock on that is high. Another route is to get 50% base rock (hirocks.com) and seed it with 50% LR (liverocks.com). Over time, it will all become LR. You may also want to see if you can get 10-20 lbs of LS from an established tank to seed your sand bed. Also, pick up your own test kit so you can constanly monitor the water parameters in your tank. Your tank cycle should take several weeks, at least four or more. When it comes time to add livestock do it very slowly. The LFS should have NEVER sold you that many fish at once for a brand new tank. theynow hold no more credability, spend your hard-earned money elsewhere. Do not get discouraged, many of us here have learned the same lesson the hard way. The good news is we can all learn from someone else's mistake. Slow down and do your research. Good luck and keep asking questions here...Lando
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to sodertech
The thing is that the guy at the fish store had mentioned that the fish have a 24 Hour Guarantee. (Is that normal) I called him to let him know that the fish were not doing well he is supposed to come by my home on Monday. I do hope that he will at least credit all of the fish. Out of 5 fish only one remains. It is Aquatic Pets in McDonough GA the guys name is Cam. He has been very nice to me and has always answered all of my questions and been very helpful. I told him that my tank was 150 but he kept telling me that he spec'd it at 80 gal. It is a corner tank, so i can see where you could make a mistake, but he swears by the Fritz product. This is a very sad day
125 gal w/ 40 Gal Sump (Sump 4"DSB)
4 - Maxi-Jet 1200 Wavemaker Pro
1/3 HP Chiller | 25W UV | Seaclone Skimmer

Lighting: 3 x 250W MH 20K | 4 x 36" Actinic

Polyp/Coral/Rock: Pulsing Xenia | Ricordia Florida | Star Polyps | Button Polyps | Red & White Carnation Sponge | Small Hard Colt Tree | Brown Meat Coral. 120lbs of LR

Fish: Huma Huma Trigger | Yellow Tang | Royal Gramma | Cleaner Goby | 4 Four Stripe Damsels | 1 Three Stripe Damsel | 2 Domino Damsels
Large Red Crab | Hermits |Snails, etc.

39 Gal
Lighting: 30" 50/50 PC | 30" Single Actinic
Filter: Penguin 330 Biowheel

Polyp/Coral/Rock: Green Eyed Zoos | Colt Tree | 50+lbs of LR

Generic Powerhead | 9W UV
sodertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Take your fish out of the tank mate. It's not fair on it! Give it back to your LFS and sort out the money later.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
he answered your questions... But that dose not mean he know what he is talking about... 150 corner...... **** that must be hugh never seen one of those. What are the dimentions.
The others have said it all...... That LFS is nuts selling you all those fish for a 4 day old tank, I don't care what you add to the water.
No LFS in my area offers a 24 hour on the SW fish..
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Even if the tank was 5 years old, it's still a hell of a lot of fish to add at once!!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sodertech, I think what everyone's saying is that the problem isn't that the guy told you the wrong amount of stuff to add--it's that he's advising you to set up a tank in completely the wrong way. A tank needs to cycle and no product is going to make that happen instantly, no matter what the bottle claims. Depending on how the tank is cycled (from "scratch" or with cured LR) it can take anywhere from 2-8 weeks before the tank is ready for a fish--that's A fish, singular. It was just irresponsible and cruel of that store to let you stock that tank that way and I, personally, would not trust their advice ever again. They set you up for disaster, and that's exactly what happened.

75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

breathing, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com