Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to sodertech
Labored Breathing

I have a 150 Clarity Plus Acrylic Tank, with 2- Fluval 304's, and a powerhead. The tank was set up about four days ago. Used turbo start per pet store owner. 1 Orange Spot Puffer, 1 Stars and Stripes Puffer, 1 Saddle Back Puffer, 1 Clown, 1 Yellow Tang. Day two orange spot started to hide and breathe in a labored fashion, day three all fish are breathing in labored fashion day four orange spot puffer dies. The stars and stripes puffer is swimming around the tang is swimming to the top nibbling at bubbles, but teetering can't keep balance perfectly, the saddleback is resting on coral.

I have kept my hands clean when decorating

Old 10-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #2

The pet store is closed today and i don't want to loose all of my fish. What should i do!

Lighting: 3 x 250W MH 20K | 4 x 36" Actinic

Polyp/Coral/Rock: Pulsing Xenia | Ricordia Florida | Star Polyps | Button Polyps | Red & White Carnation Sponge | Small Hard Colt Tree | Brown Meat Coral. 120lbs of LR

Fish: Huma Huma Trigger | Yellow Tang | Royal Gramma | Cleaner Goby | 4 Four Stripe Damsels | 1 Three Stripe Damsel | 2 Domino Damsels
Large Red Crab | Hermits |Snails, etc.

39 Gal
Lighting: 30" 50/50 PC | 30" Single Actinic
Filter: Penguin 330 Biowheel

Polyp/Coral/Rock: Green Eyed Zoos | Colt Tree | 50+lbs of LR

Generic Powerhead | 9W UV
sodertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank's cycled I take it?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
In four days? you probly have a amonia spike going on. test the waters and report back on the tank readings.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even if it it cycled, thats a hell of a lot of fish to add in 4 days!!
Old 10-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

try ammo-lock
Old 10-10-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sodertech, if your LFS told you it was okay to put those fish in an uncycled tank (which I'm assuming is what you have) you should never, ever, go back there again. The fish are dying because the tank is cycling--that is, it's building up the bacteria it will need to support life. The problem is that the process of getting there is terribly hard on fish, as you are learning. Right now you've probably got ammonia through the roof, and ammonia is very toxic to fish. The best thing you could do is take the remaining fish back to a LFS and cycle the tank with LR or raw shrimp. Failing that, go to any pet store--petco, whatever's open--and get an ammonia test kit for SW and test your water. Then you will have to do a water change--a big one. Other folks (see first-timer89 above) recommned ammolock, a product that's supposed to bind up the ammonia. I've never used it, but given that you're about to lose all your fish I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Get water mixing for a change if you don't have it already.

Please let us know how the fish are doing--if you can tell us more about your SW experience and your tank set-up people can be of more help. If you don't do anything, your fish probably won't make it past tomorrow.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, do not go back to that LFS. You need to let your tank cycle slowly and properly. Take all of the fish back befroe they die for credit and get some LR. Pick up a cpoy of "the Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner and start doing research. There are many products out there that claim to reduce the cycling time to 24 hours. IMO, they are all a waste of money. It is best to let your tank cycle naturally. Pick up some test kits and test for ph, nitrate, nitrite, amonia. I really urge you to find a more reputable LFS and keep coming back here for any advice you need. Good luck and keep us posted...Lando
PS- Post more tank info...lighting, substrate, any LR?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #9

Well, I just found out that the LFS recommended the incorrect amount of Turbo Start to begin with (one small bottle for my 150 gal tank). I will be able to get a credit no problem, but that is beside the point. How should i have set this tank up? And where do I buy fish from now on.

I had water tested today at Petco and they said all of the water sampled very well.

Funny thing my Percula Clown is doing okay right now, but three fish have died today. It is a very sad day in our home.

150 gal Clarity Plus Corner Tank
2 - Fluval 304's
1 - 30'' Coral Life Dual (Has Four Lights)
1 - Powerhead 802

Was treated/outfitted with:

4 - Bags of regular sand
1.5 Bags of Salt
1 Bottle of Turbo Start (24 hours before fish were introduced)

Lighting: 3 x 250W MH 20K | 4 x 36" Actinic

Polyp/Coral/Rock: Pulsing Xenia | Ricordia Florida | Star Polyps | Button Polyps | Red & White Carnation Sponge | Small Hard Colt Tree | Brown Meat Coral. 120lbs of LR

Fish: Huma Huma Trigger | Yellow Tang | Royal Gramma | Cleaner Goby | 4 Four Stripe Damsels | 1 Three Stripe Damsel | 2 Domino Damsels
Large Red Crab | Hermits |Snails, etc.

39 Gal
Lighting: 30" 50/50 PC | 30" Single Actinic
Filter: Penguin 330 Biowheel

Polyp/Coral/Rock: Green Eyed Zoos | Colt Tree | 50+lbs of LR

Generic Powerhead | 9W UV
sodertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
I would kindly suggest you buy a book like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and read it a couple of time. Then stay away from the miracle products. The market is getting flooded with them lately for some reason.

Stability in a marine aquarium takes patience and can't be purchased in a bottle.

The chance of survival of your Clownfish is not real high and it's for sure going to suffer for a while. It it were me, I would return it. I see no problem still purchasing from your LFS, I would no longer take their advice though. Try the book and please be patient.

Tags
breathing, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com