lateral line disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
what cause this to happen on yellow tangs? i dont have this problem...but many years ago i had a yellow tang that ended up with this....i have stayed clear of this fish because of that...i would like to try one as the splash of vibrant yellow would look great.....but would like to know what the cause is so i can prevent it

doug

There have been several theories about this. The most accurate in my opinion seems to be poor nutrition and water quality.. I ended up getting one with it, but after a couple of months of watching water so carefully you'd think I had seahorses and feeding him nori, live macro algae, etc, it seems to be clearing up quite nicely - despite the stress brought on by a firefish and a serpent star that apparently scare the heck out of him.

I didn't know this type of disease was prominent with yellow tangs. I thought they were pretty durable/hardy.

Anyway, you say it happened years ago and if water quality was the issue then, I'll bet you're better with it now.

I'd say go for it and get another now. Be aware they can be pretty territorial and should be put in last. And maybe consider a smaller one so it doesn't come in being the bad boy.

Otherwise, you may consider a canary blenny. They swim out in front, are a nice yellow color, are smaller, and have lot of personality. Very curious in nature. Always checking things out. Don't hold him though. Venoumous fangs and will bite in self defense only.

thanks! i am definatly better more ewxperienced in salt water and watch it carefully as well as tested weekly...so if with a good diet id be ok....good to know about the territory and aggressivness. I may wait as i only have 1 fish in there....
thanks for the suggestions

doug

For some reason, Yellow Tangs always seem to have an "easy" rating with retailers. I think it should be considered "moderate" as far as keeping them. These are some of the most beautiful fish to keep, but they are sensitive to water quality and more prone to ich than most fish. If you are willing to commit to keeping up with water changes, and feeding appropriately then these fish will do fine. In a sense, they are like a measuring stick as to when it is time to do a water change. They also appear more white when they are not getting a good balanced diet.

Mike

When my tang had lateral line, Someone suggested to me it could be the Diet. Went to the marine Fish store and got some Grape Calerpa. Loaded with vitamin C and other nutrients. This is a natural Macro algea. Very good for herbivores. Feed him this and check water quality and you should be good to go. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom