Lawnmower blenny died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait_Ls1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I woke up this morning toMIT lawnmower blenny dead! I've had him for about 5 months. I'm guessing it was a food problem. I bought him bc I was having algea control problems even with the skimmer on 24/7. After I bought him about a month and a half later and most of it was completely gone. He still lived off algea growing on and around the rock but I'm guessing it wasn't enough. Really sucks tho bc I enjoyed him a lot. Is there something else I should consider getting or try again with another one. Btw he would NEVER eat anything that I gave him! There was a couple times he almost tried to eat some pellets, as soon as he got to it he changed his mine and ran off.

How big is the tank? You could have supplemented his feeding with algae wafers or other veggie preparations. Not sure that those fish enjoy eating pellets and all that. They are strictly herbivores.

Yes that`s one of the problems with having one. They usually starve after the algea is gone. I always suggest you see it eat before you get one. Sorry about your loss.

Hmm. I guess my phone messed up. Sorry. Ok it's a 55 gallon. Btw I watched this particular one in the store for about a month. Took him home and after about 30 minutes he was monchin on the algea. I bought some veggie algea sheets and he wouldn't even touch it. My scopas and fox loved it how ever. The only thing he would eat is the hair algea that grew on te rocks and he would scrape algea build up off the back glass. Before I got him the whole backglass was green. Bc I replaced the crappy lowes light set up I got with the tank with a Catalina fixture and vitality 55w 10K bulbs and that's when my algea took off. But like said he completely destroyed it. Think it's worth a shot at getting another and using the listed foods you gave me to see if the next one will eat it?

Im in a similar situation with a tailspot blenny. He goes around the tank nipping at the rocks. I put in some algae grazing block that is really messy. Its like jello that falls apart easily. He comes out and gets some of the stuff floating around but doesnt nip at the block.

He will nip some nori from time to time, but I cant seem to find something stable for him. He wont touch the formula 1 pellets, but this is likely because he is an herbivore. I may try some veggie pellets next since he seems to be less shy now.

Matt

i've always kept algae blennies and have never lost one. all the ones i have kept learned to eat whatever i fed the other fish and nori sheets.
this is actually the first time i've heard of someone losing one. i'm thinking it could be something besides starvation.
btw, they are omnivores.

Always thought they were herbivores.

Anyways, on another note, i also think there is something else going on. Scopas tang? and a Fox? Got any other fish in that tank? Have you recently tested your water parameters?

mine loves anything you can give it and will not touch any hair algae

Hmm.. good to know. I guess some fish don't really have preferences.. sorta like clowns.

Really sucks man. I wish I knew. My roommate said he'd been watching him the last few days and said he didn't seem to unnormal or anything. But I even showed him that he wouldn't eat ANYTHING I tried giving him

not since day one? what else do you have in the tank, and what are your water parameters? have you ever gotten a shock when you put your hand in the water? how about in bare feet?

Did you try nori tied to a rock or a clip. I've always seen them go after that. Mine also didn't touch anything but algae till it carpet surfed.

Did you notice it getting thinner recently?

not since day one? what else do you have in the tank, and what are your water parameters? have you ever gotten a shock when you put your hand in the water? how about in bare feet?

Nope. Never tried to eat anything. Sorry I couldn't tell you my parameters just yet. Our local shop just moved and now the closest one is about 30 minutes away and I don't have a test kit right now. Never gotten a shock either.
Did you try nori tied to a rock or a clip. I've always seen them go after that. Mine also didn't touch anything but algae till it carpet surfed.

Did you notice it getting thinner recently?

Hmm. I'll look into that. I feel really bad about the situation. I couldn't honestly tell til I took him out but he did seem to be a bit thinner? :(

I'm gonna go tomorrow and drive out to the other fish shop and get everything I need. I'll get the parameters put in here tomorrow. Btw. I know most of you don't know my set up but it's very basic. Hang on marineland duel filter and a very cheap protein skimmer. When I bought the tank set up it was about 5 years old but when I bought it it had a cheap hang on filter from basically Wal mart and the light set up looked like it came from Wal mart as well. I upgraded both and that made a difference. (for the good).

55 gallon. Fox face fish, 2 clown fish, 1 brown scopas tang and a purple firefish goby. They got along real well. I was suprised to see even my clown fish let the blenny sit with in just an inch or so of them and they didn't freak out. Only skiddish fish I have is the goby. He's such a scaredy cat he won't even go to the top of the tank to get food unless the other fish aren't around him. But none of them messed with the blenny

Back
Top Bottom