Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

lawnmower blenny won't eat

I got a lawnmower blenny a few days ago -- of course there is no algae in the QT. He won't accept any foods that I've tried and is looking incredibly thin. He's losing his color. What's the preferred food for getting them to eat? I don't have any spare LR to put in with him for him to graze on.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What foods have you tried?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
What foods have you tried?
Dried seaweed, flakes, and a frozen meat/algae mix.

I've got some spirulina (sp?) coming in the mail, but it will probably take a couple more days to get here.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most lawnmower blennies won't eat a prepared food. Is there areas in the tank for him to hide? Unfortunately, this is one of those fish that need an established tank, rather it be QT or main. Maybe you could pick, up another piece of LR for the QT tank. IME, algae seems to grow better in areas of natural sunlight so placing the QT near a window to get direct sunlight may help get some film algae started. So long as he's strong enough to hold out til the algae gets started. You may have to consider adding him to your main tank and hope he's not carrying something.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to agree with Fluff about putting him in your main tank. It's not the best of options, but for fish like that it would probably be best. This is assuming you have plenty of algae in your main tank.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blenny, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com