Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Laying eggs or sick?

My clown has a very distended belly (right where she well...poops). She is a very large maroon clown. She dosen't seem sick but she has been less active and stays in one area. My LFS suggested she was probabally ready to lay eggs or constipated since no scales were sticking out. Thought I'd double check here. Thanks! Oh and no male is present just her (but the LFS said it is still a probability). I feed many different foods and lots of greens so I am a bit stumped. I have pics to email anyone who requests them.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
ill check them out if you want to send them..!

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I need to take different pics now because it looks worse today. Unfortunately I don't think she's laying eggs now : (

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 11-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got some good ones this time what is your email address?

Old 11-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
steve-s

Doubtful on the "egg" theory. If you feed the fish primarily meaty foods, this can be a common issue in clowns (many fish species). It could also be a bacterial problem if the food is strored improperly/too old. Any sign of feces excresion at all and if so, what color?

If the clown is eating well otherwise, mash some slightly soften peas into the next feeding. It should grease the pipes well enough to release the blockage. Don't put it off, as the blockage grows it will start to affect the swim bladder.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
egg, eggs, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com