leather coral dying, i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sterling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone,
Our aquarium holds a very eleganant mushroom leather, I believe that's the style of it. We arranged the aquarium two nights ago and the leather has not come back out of its shell if you know what i mean. We've rearranged the tank many times before and this has not happened. The other corals are out and about, and I am wondering what could be wrong. Why do leathers die, etc...

Thanks a bunch, Sterling

If it`s a leather then it`s probably sloughing. It should come back and be OK. Can you get us a pic of this leather so we can be sure of it`s ID.

Here's a pic, thanks for the help. I don't want it to die.

Attachments

• CIMG2761.jpg
    CIMG2761.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 191
  • CIMG2762.jpg
    CIMG2762.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 165
It doesn't look to be ill, just recessed from the stress of having the tank rearranged. You mentioned rearranging the tank many times, but the more you feel this need the more stress you cause to your livestock. I see what looks to be some slight polyp expansion from the "bell" so I would leave it be and just provide good water motion and as usual, take care of your water parameters.

Hey, We figured it out. Our leather was actually growing. Leathers shead a layer of their skin when they grow and in order to do so, they recess themselves and eventually shed a shinny layer of skin. WooHoo thanks for all the help though and hope.

The shedding of tissue is what Melosu was referring to when he mentioned "sloughing." The actual process is thought to rid the coral of excess algae, bacteria, and general waste rather than a defining growth prerequisite.

Well whatever the case, Im happy its not dead and thankful for everyones input and help. Thanks very much guys/girls.
Ill be sure to help when i can

Back
Top Bottom